casting event?

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Postby Wes » Tue May 24, 2005 10:06 pm

Was just thinkin, surprised none of you brought your gear and got in a few hours afterwards :!:
Wes

"A bad days fishing is better than a good days work"
Wes
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby m.b3 » Tue May 24, 2005 10:52 pm

i even had rigs on me!!! just no bait. i knew if i started fishin i wouldn't have been bothered casting. even looked around, few hermit crabs, mussels and cockles- i was keen! rising tide too. ahhhh!!! next time. good few flounders on this beach now. nice to have them back.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Cono-flex32 » Wed May 25, 2005 11:04 am

the float gives u a realistic idea of what distance ur hitting on the beach..
Cono-flex32

insurance

Postby Guest » Wed May 25, 2005 11:54 am

I believe if this activity was organised under the i.f.s.a. thir insurance would probably cover it. It would be worth checking out.
Dingbat

Postby m.b3 » Thu May 26, 2005 12:37 am

Conoflex i just walked up to see the marks in the sand. the problem with the beach was as soon as the lead started to dip out of the sky it was impossible to see it meaning casts were cut short a little to stop lead without birdie. is this why casters colour their leads on grass?
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby m.b3 » Thu May 26, 2005 12:40 am

i will check it out Dingbat. hardly anyone there! we had an ample safety margin. however if more people turned up for the 'event' then it would be worth taking further. i will ask at the next meeting, well i'll ask JD to ask!!!!! but it needs more interest and probably a better venue!!!
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Cono-flex32 » Thu May 26, 2005 3:04 pm

dont know why the tournament lads use coloured leads, iv never seen them used in any of the casting comps over here..
Cono-flex32

Postby MAC » Thu May 26, 2005 3:24 pm

I was at a casting demo a few years ago and the guys were using empty Jif Lemon containers. As well as adding equivilent drag as bait (I guess) it also helps with letting you know when your lead is about to hit. These were crimped on just above the lead. Let me know when you going again Mark and I'll try make the time. I'll also try to get a meter measure so we can mark out the distance acurately.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby m.b3 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:01 pm

Will do Mac. the measurements were pretty accurate down to a yard or two. a trundle wheel would be great!
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Coloured casting weights

Postby The Oracle » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:31 pm

Hi lads,
The reasons for colouring weights for casting competitions are as follows -
1 - Different colours denote the different weight categories - 125g,150g,etc
2 - Different colours can and are used at each event so snap-offs and lost weights can be identified from each event. It also means all lost weights must be accounted for at the end of the competition. Nobody can slip in a substatute for a lost weight.

Someone from the organising club will be responsible for providing the weights to be used on the day. They will have been carefully weighed and stamped then painted. It's a way to stop some people cheating as well. These are the main reasons for colouring them. It's got nothing to do with following the weight in flight. Very few people can follow a weight during a full tournament cast as it's travelling way too fast.

I hope this helps a little.
The Oracle

Postby m.b3 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:21 am

i think that clears thinks up. thanks.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Notify

Postby drawer704 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:53 am

any time suites mb3 count me in

How will i know hen it is done? :(!
drawer704

casting

Postby AG » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:12 pm

good work lads for keeping a bit of interest in casting . i wish there was as much when it was in full swing. 200 yards is still along way when you look at it . i will be at the angling show at the airport next month if you need any advice .
andrew :
AG
Need your account moneys for new Zziplex

Have thanks: 45 times

casting or something can't remember.

Postby paul mason » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:27 pm

Good lad big boy, are you getting rid of the cobwebs, have you got the baby over the 200yds yet . There seems to be a bit of interest from the lads on this site but as you well know from past experiness they poke there nose in get dissapointed and then f### off never to be seen again.
Kstaff has always been the new black in my eyes anyway!!!!!!!

Indomitable spirit - never giving up or wanting to give up.

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/east-coast-tackle/

http://www.eastcoasttackle.ie

East Coast Tackle
paul mason
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby Seaniebo » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:15 pm

Cant understand how that would happen when there's nice welcoming people like you to help them along
I require a tremendous amount of calcium

http://www.saisac.org/
Seaniebo
Unstoppable....

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby m.b3 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:03 pm

i could do with some help alright ag. i am worse at casting now than i was a year ago. i tried to re-learn the pendelum to try and get the lead out further again and now i am worse off for it. if i can't get it soon i will be goin back to the old style! it didn't hurt the back as much either.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby BigPhil » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:14 pm

readin in the sea angler, totalseafishing etc i see that casting federations are now up and running well in the other 3 home nations and that a home international casting competition was held for the first time officially in 2005. is there a casting federation here in ireland?? - just out of interest.
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby m.b3 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:20 pm

cating in Ireland is a secret society!! very hard to find info?? sorry cant help Phil.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Casting

Postby paul mason » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:47 pm

Sorry if i sound so crude seanbo but we have helped a lot of anglers over the years learn to cast with little or no reward. From the early 80s right trough the 90s we ran casting heats on sandymount strand with little or no help from anyone and the numbers were dwindling there was not a lot of interest any more so it just came to an end. The big problem now is insurance not many lads are willing to leave themselves open to being sued. O bye the way you were talking to me on the south beach greystones one wet and windy night a while ago.
Kstaff has always been the new black in my eyes anyway!!!!!!!

Indomitable spirit - never giving up or wanting to give up.

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/east-coast-tackle/

http://www.eastcoasttackle.ie

East Coast Tackle
paul mason
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby beachcaster » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:40 pm

it,s good to see an interest in casting ,but i think people come and expect to hit big distance straight away,and when they dont they lose interest very quickly.i have been casting for a while and can tell you it takes hard work and lots of practise to improve distance.there comes a time when you are stuck at a certain distance and it dosent seem to want to go any further,but practise and practise more and you will begin to get the distance increase.there are still some guys who go casting in the north and we all enjoy our day out trying different rods and the craic.
beachcaster
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1 time

PreviousNext

Return to Casting