Shallow water less than a meter

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Shallow water less than a meter

Postby bandon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:59 pm

Hi lads I have been fishing a few beaches in Kerry over the last month
I have had some success one fish about ten pounds and two about five pounds .
The ten ponder was caught on a rising tide casting in towards the beach in about a foot of water
One on a popper home made and one on a white large fly that had turned about ten feet from me threw the fly had no line out and drew the fly across and he took great sport.
Since I have only been fly fishing foe bass about a month I seem to meet and see most of the bass in very shallow water on a rising tide .
Any advise on the type of fly that I should use I have tied quite a few and I am thinking I have been fishing to big ,
Can anyone advise me on how fast a retrieve would be the norm
bandon
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby lumpy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:14 pm

hi
for shallow water like that try quite a light airy fly like a popovic's hollow fleye. these are a good fly in skinny water due to there sparseness causes them to sink slowly. fly size is dependent on target bait fish. at this time of the year most bass ive had have been on a 4inch white bait immitation although i will start fishing joey patterns in the coming weeks..retrieve is a matter of trial an error although i find that a strip, strip stop retrieve the most consistant
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing