Bread flies

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Bread flies

Postby Davy Murdoch » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:03 pm

here`s some of the bread flies i tied up.they aren`t very pretty but they work.
the flies that i`ve circled have all had hits from mullet,three of them have caught fish.they were made to sink slowly through the water along with real bread.
the bigger flies float but will sink if they`ve been in the water a while
Attachments
bread fly 005.JPG
bread flies
bread fly 005.JPG (81.06 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Davy Murdoch
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby mann » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:09 am

Hi Dave,

You have a fair mixture of different size hook’s there.. Would I be close in saying size 12 down to 6,
I tied mine on size 12 and didn’t want to push my luck by going any bigger but looking at the sizes circled I might make up a few with the larger size and give them a go,

Thanks for showing these.. As they show how easy it is to catch a fish on something you made yourself and that they don’t have to be dressed up with fancy materials to do the job,

I’ve made mullet fly’s from teddy bear fur / knitting wool / and hares mask and they all do the trick.. Right now I’m looking around for packing foam to make a copy of your fly’s.

Cheer’s.
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby fishfinderwest » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:32 am

Well Dave,

Nice job with the flies. Will definitely try this. The first and only flies I ever tied was out of blue and red sewing thread belonging to me mam. Had success and caught many perch under a bridge with them. Was fishing the Inny river near Mullingar the other day and got more perch on the fly. Was using an Olive. The similarities between coarse, game and sea angling are greater than a lot of people think. Good to see someone developing their own flies and having success. I have always wanted to catch a mullet but havent had much success. They keep spitting the bait out. They must think Im a bad chef serving them up tasteless looking scraps. I have only ever float fished using a size 12 hook and a pencil float. The problem is knowing when to strike.

When using the fly is it easier to hook em as you can feel the bites direct to the rod tip like you would a trout?

Tightlines
"BRENNANS BREAD TODAYS BREAD TODAY"
fishfinderwest

Postby Davy Murdoch » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:51 pm

mann wrote:Hi Dave,

You have a fair mixture of different size hook’s there.. Would I be close in saying size 12 down to 6,
I tied mine on size 12 and didn’t want to push my luck by going any bigger but looking at the sizes circled I might make up a few with the larger size and give them a go,

Thanks for showing these.. As they show how easy it is to catch a fish on something you made yourself and that they don’t have to be dressed up with fancy materials to do the job,

I’ve made mullet fly’s from teddy bear fur / knitting wool / and hares mask and they all do the trick.. Right now I’m looking around for packing foam to make a copy of your fly’s.

Cheer’s.

alright mann.yes the hook sizes are 12,8,6.when im bait fishing all i use are owner pint hook size 6.
its nice to catch a fish on something you`ve made yourself,even if it looks like a dogs dinner :lol:
Davy Murdoch
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Davy Murdoch » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:22 pm

fishfinderwest wrote:Well Dave,

Nice job with the flies. Will definitely try this. The first and only flies I ever tied was out of blue and red sewing thread belonging to me mam. Had success and caught many perch under a bridge with them. Was fishing the Inny river near Mullingar the other day and got more perch on the fly. Was using an Olive. The similarities between coarse, game and sea angling are greater than a lot of people think. Good to see someone developing their own flies and having success. I have always wanted to catch a mullet but havent had much success. They keep spitting the bait out. They must think Im a bad chef serving them up tasteless looking scraps. I have only ever float fished using a size 12 hook and a pencil float. The problem is knowing when to strike.

When using the fly is it easier to hook em as you can feel the bites direct to the rod tip like you would a trout?

Tightlines
"BRENNANS BREAD TODAYS BREAD TODAY"

cheers fishfinderwest,i think its easier to hook a mullet on bait rod as long as you keep a tight line.if they are really hungry they will bury the float anyway.it also help to use a bigger hook,size 8 or 6.there`s more chance of the hook finding somewhere to stick into than with a small hook.
the amount of mullet we lost last week was nuts,about 12 each in 30 mins.i think it was cos we dont retrieve,we just keep the line as tight as poss but when we lift into the fish we couldn`t set the hook.i had to really pull hard to make sure it had a firm hold
Davy Murdoch
SAI Megalodon!

Postby lumpy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:46 pm

hi davy,if your struggling with hook up rates with the bread flies try gamahatsu gp buzzer light hooks.i use them in size 12-14 and find my hook up rate has increased drastically.
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Davy Murdoch » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:21 pm

cheers lumpy i`ll have to get my hands on some
Davy Murdoch
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing