Portnoo 14/06/08

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:08 am

People: Myself and friend.

Duration: 4 hours.

Tide:

Weather: Cloudy and a little windy, but T-shirt weather.

Bait: Rag, SWF's, Mackeral heads.
Rigs: Float rigs, crab flies, tope traces.

Results: 5 pollock (one 5lb'er), 15 wrasse(one monster), 2 congers.
Kayak: Heritage Redfish Angler 12

Report:

Not truly a kayak report, but there was quite a bit of kayak fishing done. The two congers and the large wrasse came from the kayak, the large pollock came from the shore on the fly. Apart from that i'm not sure how many fish I got on the shore and how many I got on the kayak.

A great day out in great surroundings. My pilot friend, hadn't been fishing in a couple of years. He's already asking to organise another trip.

The first conger was 4 feet long, second was about 3ft long.
I couldn't even hazard a guess at the weight of the wrasse, all I know is it was the largest wrasse i've ever seen and the best fight i've had on the kayak thus far (very rough guess 6lb-7lb). Congers gave a strong but dull fight, unhooking the buggers is not fun in a little boat

Finished the night off in the pub. As for my pilot friend, i'm never flying with ryanair again :shock: :lol:

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:31 pm

tope traces.

Brave man on a yak :roll:

I'd say the congers and wrasse were great craic from the yak though :D

My biggest wrasse thus far is 42cm (around 4lb I'd guess), and he was difficult enough to land even with solid ground under my feet :!:

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 pm

Sounded class fella. well done. would love to get into the kayak or even get out fishing at all.
I have fished portnoo loads of times. great location and plenty of species to be had up there. ur not to far away from a half decent bass beach also

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:41 pm

Where's that?

Re: Portnoo 14/06/08

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:41 pm

good session hey