fish this year?

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

fish this year?

Postby Guest » Fri May 13, 2005 9:24 am

hey lads, this section of the message board is awful quiet lately! anyway just wondering are ye having much luck with the swff this year to date? i only really started this week, and i've had two pollack, one under a pound and the other about three pounds. absolutely mad craic, both fell to a clouser immediately one after another. it was a great start for someone new to swff, and i'm totally hooked on it.....so how are the rest are the rest of ye getting on?

Postby frodo baggins » Fri May 13, 2005 9:27 am

oops, forgot to log in! that was me!
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby enoonan001 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:32 am

Hey Frodo,
Where about you doing your SWFF? I've tried for Sea Trout on the Estuary a few times but no success..

Eoin
enoonan001
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Guest » Fri May 13, 2005 10:56 am

well as i said i've only started this week, but both nights were in kilkee bay. just between the pier and the golf club, it's the ideal place for a newbie to the game to get a hang of it, there's loads of room behind you for the back cast, and you have immediate deep water at your feet, about 20 feet in places. there's loads of other spots around the bay, further up, beyond the golf course, and along the west end by the pollack holes...... besides being ideal pollack ground, there are bass taken there in the summer months(but i haven't heard of anyone trying them on the fly) and there are some great mullet around by the pier, i saw 3 good fish swimming past near the surface on the may bank holiday. a couple of weeks back i saw either salmon or sea trout throwing themselves about aa hundred yards from the shore, but i reckon if you hoooked one in the bay it would be a total fluke, there's no river for them to run up. however doonbeg is only fifteen minutes out the road and that river gets a good run of fish i've been told......i'm gonna give the area a serious lash with the fly this summer, i reckon it has untold potential for the saltwater fly fisherman

Postby enoonan001 » Fri May 13, 2005 12:14 pm

Must run across on the ferry someday and give it a shot. What line you using (sink,inter,float)??

Have only started fly fishing this year myself. Have had some good catches of trout and pike but nothing in the salt yet.

Eoin
enoonan001
SAI Bait Ball

Postby frodo baggins » Fri May 13, 2005 12:44 pm

ya i had my first trout of the year lastnight. bloody dismal couple of weeks on that front. there's a small reservoir on the outskirts of kilkee that is well stocked, so you're spoilt for choice on the fishing front in these parts! i'd defenitely recommend hitting kilkee for a weekend or something over the summer.without exageration you could target every fish that swims in salt water within half an hour if the town. i can't wait to see how many i can catch with the fly. i never want to go back to college or return to civilisation!
by the way i was using a sinking line, it was only a ron thompson energy no.9 weight forward sinking line. i was told to stick with cheap lines coz they get mangled on the barnacles and rocks, but i find it's a great line for 16euro. it's only classed as a sinking, but i find it sinks like a stone, and it doesn't create to much of a belly. a great little line
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

Postby enoonan001 » Fri May 13, 2005 1:43 pm

I have a funny feeling that I have the same one!!

They are a good cheap line alright. I'm using a 7/8wt rod though. But if it can land a pike then it'll land a pollock!!

Eoin
enoonan001
SAI Bait Ball

Postby frodo baggins » Fri May 13, 2005 1:52 pm

i bought ythe scierra bluewater 9weight rod a couple of weeks back. it's a fantastic rod, spot on for pollack, and it can really belt a line out into a wind. got a great deal on it too, only 120euro brand new, i managed to get it at cost.
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Guest » Fri May 13, 2005 2:37 pm

Me first Bass on fly last night I'm like a dog with two....Cork Harbour, only a smallie at about 2 1/2 lbs, but hey how bad

Postby Tim » Fri May 13, 2005 3:49 pm

Brilliant - great to hear they are really getting caught on the fly and it's still early in the year. "Small" bass at 2.1/2 lbs, that's a nice fish, certainly no schoolie by UK standards. Frodo - was it dark when you were fishing??? What you wrote reminds me of something I read last year in Westport bookshop - if you catch just one mackerel on the fly, you'll never want to do anything else for the rest of your life.
Tim
Tim
SAI Bait Ball

Postby frodo baggins » Fri May 13, 2005 4:03 pm

no it wasn't dark....am i missing out on a joke?!.....i get jokes!!
nice bass by the way guest.
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Tim » Fri May 13, 2005 10:33 pm

No, not joking, it's just that you had said you'd been out 2 nights this week. Do you find it better to sea fly fish in daylight or as it gets a bit darker? I can't cast in daylight, let alone in the dark, but I know some folk do.
Tim
Tim
SAI Bait Ball

Postby frodo baggins » Mon May 16, 2005 9:55 am

sorry, i have to correct myself, i really fished from the afternoon, until about half an hour after the sun set, so it wasn't really the night. but both pollack were caught as the light faded after 8.30pm. i was too cold and hungry to fish any later, but as i was passing the pier in kilkee at about ten o clock, there were a number of fish rolling on the surface, so i suppose a surface popper might get them, but it woul be too dark to fish any kind of static surface bait. i'll get back to ye on that one, hopefully with good news!
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing