Trying out new toys

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Trying out new toys

Postby JPS » Mon May 05, 2008 3:38 am

Well I had the pleasure of being able to have a bit of a try with Graham's new Zziplex M4 Evolution as well as the Peter Coogan PTEC reel.

First the rod.

This rod is equal section 13'5" or a little shorter than my SS. The rod is the new generation slim line build and high grade graphiote construction . The blank is extremely light but has a great deal of power for its weight.
From the feel of the rod during the cast I would say that it has the fulcrum Butt common to a number of the Zziplex range.

the action is extemely crisp and has a sharper feel when compared to my ZTi.
As mentioned before the weight is considerably less than my Zti.
Casting weights from 100 gram up to 150 gram were very incouraging and best distance for the few cast that I had with the rod would have pushed the 220 meter mark.

For someone looking for a great field rod as well as a top fishing rod this model would fill the bill very well.

The Reel was the New peter Coogan PTEc with the single piece lowered frame.
The reel comes complete with a support plate in the left hand side that centralised the brass bush that hold the bearing and spool tension.
There was no vibration and the reel was as smooth as slick - as you would expect from a reel from Peter.
The lowered frame allowed me with my short thumbs to get a great grip on the spool and improved the overall feel of my cast.
later in the day I swapped sideplates and fitted my mono mag to the reel and fould it to be excellent with the reel spinning beautifully .

All in all two great pieces of equipment for anyone looking for top quality .

Regards
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby paddyc » Mon May 05, 2008 8:54 pm

Thats great news, im glad the reel was to your liking they really are something special, when i spoke to pete he had your 6500 top of the "to do list" so lets hope you get it soon so you will be well sorted for the Big Danny in June, as for the rod ive not even seen one yet but from what terry has told me the whole EVO range will be slimer,lighter and even more powerful, im waiting on a Full Tournament EVO should be here any day now, and i cant wait.....
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby JPS » Tue May 06, 2008 3:25 am

Paddy ,

Can you confirm if Terry will be producing any of the new generation rods with a Power pointed butt as apposed to the Fulcrum type ?

Also have you tried any of the Zziplex's with a Power point butt ?

And if so what are you thoughts when compared to the Fulcrum type ?

Regards
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Postby paddyc » Tue May 06, 2008 10:43 am

Yes most of my rods are power-pointed, i know the new Full Tournament Evo has a power pointed butt as did the older versions (this is my prefrered choice of butt as they dont really bend right down the butt) i think the Z-tec has one but this rod seems to be very very stiff from what i hear,, i dont really get on with fulcrum butts to be honest my ZTI has one i know but IMO its a stiffer one than some others which helps me a bit but the likes of my Dymic HST i just cant wind up enough to get the best from it, the new Evo M4 and HST have fulcrums the LT-14 and FT evo,s are power-pointed as far as i know..
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby JPS » Wed May 07, 2008 7:33 am

Paddy ,

When you get the new EVO FT can you please post up your views.
Also have you had a cast with the Century Kompressor SS yet and if so what do you think of it when compared to the Zziplex with the PP butt ?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Also what rod will you use for the BD ?

Regards :D
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Postby paddyc » Wed May 07, 2008 9:46 am

Of corse, once i get it and have a session or two ill post up my thoughts, i havent cast the SS yet but had a few chucks of kstaff,s kompressor-S and was impressed its a very smooth progressive loading blank and it felt very user friendly, the SS feels considerably stiffer in the butt ,i wonder do both rods have the same tips???
Id say ill have my FT,, FT/Evo and conoflex/Activ8tor excel, what ever is working best for me closer to the time...
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby JPS » Thu May 08, 2008 3:25 am

Paddy ,

The tips on the S & SS are not the same , the have the same basic diameters at the very tip and the joint but the tipp of the SS is considerably more powerfull than that of the S.

The S makes a great fishing rod and is capable of very good distances but I prefer the power of the SS for my field work and heavy duty fishing.

Regards :D
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Casting