mullet

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

mullet

Postby lumpy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:36 pm

had a small 1 1/2 lb mullet today on a suspender bread fly. seems to be alot about at the moment but they were difficult to get to feed. still for the middle of april it bodes well for the summer
Attachments
1.5lb mullet.JPG
1.5lb mullet.JPG (88.96 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Ronald » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Nice to see the mullet so early neil ,though it'll be another month before they really start to show up here on the north coast .
Any chance of a pic of the fly ? I've been trying to think of ways of tying small bread fly that'll float well .
If someone shows you a mark to fish, respect it and dont pass it of as one of your own, dont tell every man and his dog about it.
Ronald
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby lumpy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:57 pm

here you go ronald, its a size 10 kamasan b420 sedge hook, head is a small foam cylinder (boobie cord) clipped to size and the rest is palmered rabbit zonker. i know it looks crude but ive found it to be far more effective than spun deer hair etc. oh and just in case i got it off an australian fly fishing forum
Attachments
SANY0433.JPG
SANY0433.JPG (118.05 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
SANY0432.JPG
SANY0432.JPG (127.33 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby jack01986 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Nice fish lumpy the fly looks good as well. Do you groundbait for the mullet with bread or just fish it by itself.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Postby lumpy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:54 pm

i like to find a shoal of fish that are nosing around in the shallows in about 2 feet of water. i then break up a handfull of bread and throy it in just above them. when they begin taking the bread confidently i will cast my fly into the middle of the bread and wait. usually get 3/4 shots at a shoal before you have to move on.

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby dave armstrong » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:56 pm

Cool. Nice looking fly Neil. Been looking out for them locally but havent seen them yet. Done a few hours on sunday after pollock. Very poor tide though. Not a sign of them in my usual spot :cry: :cry:
dave armstrong
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby jack01986 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:21 am

Cool must give that a go soon.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Postby Ronald » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:51 am

I'll have to have a go at tying some of those up ,thanks for that .
If someone shows you a mark to fish, respect it and dont pass it of as one of your own, dont tell every man and his dog about it.
Ronald
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby anthony2carr » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:53 am

Hey m8. Can you tell me (cause it can't be seen from the photo) how buried that hook is in there.
I bought some bread flies on the net last year. Never had a chance to fish them, but the hook is so small and it's practically buried in the material.
I don't know how it would hook mullet when I had difficulty getting to feel the hook when I squeezed it really tight.

I so want to catch my first Mullet on the fly rod. Any tips ,patterns etc would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I can return the favour with inside knowledge of consistently catching wrasse on the fly.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lumpy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:23 am

no bother ronald, best of luck

hi anthony.
the hook is a size 10 and while it looks pretty well burried, the material (rabbit zonker) is such that it is so soft that hook ups or lack there of are not an issue, only fish you generally miss are those you strike too early.

as for tips its relatively straight forward. find a shoal of mullet in relatively shallow water(i prefer around 3 feet) . get them feeding with a handfull of broken up bread, note where they are feeding and then cast your bread fly into this area and wait. its very important not to over feed them though. i'l throw in a few pieces every few minutes to keep them interested.

for rigs i like to fish 2 flies. i fish a normal rabbit bread fly with out a foam head on 10 inches of tippet below a suspender bread fly. this covers the fish which are feeding on the sinking bread and the suspender bread fly also acts as a strike indicator while also covering th fish which are taking surface flies.

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby anthony2carr » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Cheers, so you don't strip at all?

As for the wrasse. I use a small orange shrimp in size 14. This should be moved with small 1" strips and 1 second wait time between. In that wait time, hold on tight to your rod.

I have no doubt that the pattern you have pictured about (without the floating section) would do the trick. but it must be small.Anything with a large tail will be picked at, but they will miss everytime.
Aim for a tail of no more than 5mm.

In SWFF you will miss 90% of fish with a deceiver. Just because you are not catching anything doesn't mean the fish are not attacking your fly. Try the above when things have gone dead. You will catch alot of small fish, but it won't deter the bigs ones.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lumpy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:29 pm

nope, no strip at all. its dead drifting. your trying to mimic a piece of floating bread which tend not to move. takes patience and a bit of practice but when you do hook one its all worth it.

cheers for that on the wrasse. going to have to get a few of them this year. onlt had a handfull

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Tanglerat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:39 pm

What kind of rod action do you guys prefer for Mullet? Stiff, tippy or floppy?
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby lumpy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:03 pm

at the moment i'm using a 4wt brook rod, this is a medium actioned rod (more tippy than thru action).i'm waiting for a vision gt4 which are more a medium/fast action from what i can gather. because of the light tippets used (usually 3.3lb frog hair flouro or possibly 5.5lb if conditions allow.) i prefer a reletively a forgiving tip, hence the medium action any thing too stiff and you'l snap the tippets. a general medium actioned 6wt is perfect.the medium action allows relatively long casts without much effort but still not so still as to break off alot of fish.

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby mickymall » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:41 pm

when is the best time to fly fish for mullet. I went out to cobh last night and tried to catch one. Is low water or high water the better time? What other flies are successful for mullet? would love to catch one on the fly. I believe the take is unreal.
mickymall
SAI Lug Worm

Re: mullet

Postby dan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:29 pm

havnt had one on the fly yet i missed two around millisle in july on the fly but the three i have landed i got on maggot fished on the top. i know they fight like stinkk.
Lure caught Fish 2014- Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Poor Cod, Dab, Cod, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Bass, SeaTrout, Grey Gurnard, Scad, SandSmelt, Red Gurnard, Launce, Lesser Sandeel, Rock Goby, Black Goby, Shanny, Mackerel, Herring, Dragonet, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, GoldSinney Wrasse, Lesser Weaver, Butterfish, Perch, Pike

Fly Caught Fish 2014- Pollack, Coalie, Whiting, Mackerel, Sea Trout, Brown Trout, Perch, Roach

Biggest Fish of 2014-15lb Conger Eel

Total Species 2014-39 Sea
9 FW
dan
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing