What flies??

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

What flies??

Postby enoonan001 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:52 pm

Hi all.
I recently started SW fly fishing and I was wondering what flies people use for various fish. At the moment I use some single mackeral feathers and some pike flies for bass but with not much success. Can anyone give me an idea for flies for the following:

Bass
Sea trout
Mullet
Pollock

Thanks in advance

Eoin
enoonan001
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:55 pm

Eoin

Just realized you've had no answer and I'm wondering if my advice will help at all, as I've never caught anything on a fly :oops:
However, I do read a bit and I think the good all-rounders for bass and probably pollock are white/chatreuse clousers and deceivers.

Have a look at http://www.ukswff.co.uk/oceantwo.htm as they've got nice pictures and I'm sure if you put the question up on the http://www.ukswff.co.uk forum, you'll get more help than I can ever give you. Might be worth asking about bass specifically as there are a lot of bass salt water flyers on that site. I'm fairly sure one of the regulars is from Ireland but I'm not sure where exactly.

Good luck

Tim
Tim
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby enoonan001 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:14 am

Thanks Tim.
Must have a look at that site.

Thanks again
enoonan001
SAI Bait Ball

Postby MAC » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:46 pm

Eoin,

I missed this one as well. as mentioned before you can get mullet feeding on bread and maybe try a bread like fly. White cactus chenile or a white hackle fly clipped. There was an Excellent Sea Trout article in Irish Angler when the mag first came out. The authors favourite fly was the Artic bugger. A white wolly bugger. The usual patters are always woth a go. for Pollock you'll be looking at fast sinking lines with a while clouser with some sparkle. White / blue and White green are good combos. decievers and clousers will work for bass. If you google for any of these kew words you are sure to get some patterns and tying instructions. I like clousers because they are very easy to tie.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby enoonan001 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:02 pm

Thanks Mac.
I've just purchased a fast sinking line and hope to wet it this weekend in kerry. Thanks for the info on the flies too. Hopefully I will manage to get into something.

Eoin
enoonan001
SAI Bait Ball

Postby derekk » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:29 am

Hi,
In my opinion you cant beat a rogans gadget, parsons tom or a baltic special. I like theese flies as they get down quickly which, if you are estuary fishing is important. Usually the tide swings your flies round quite quickly. I use an intermediate line and either one or two flies depending on the spped of the current and the amount of kelp in the water. Thats all on a 10' #7 ( same as used for resevoir fishing).

I dont put any faith into the saltwater proof stuff as i think the sand is what does the damage, well it has done to my ring lingings.
I caught a nice seatrout of about 1.5lb last year on a rogans gadget and missed a few other.
derekk

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing