Irish Fly Reel Co

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Irish Fly Reel Co

Postby Ryan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:25 pm

I'm looking on getting couple more fly reels, has anyone used any of the reels from the Irish fly reel Co and if so what do you think of them?
What's the drag like and any problems with using them in saltwater?

Cheers
Ryan
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby jack01986 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:53 pm

I have a Irish Fly Reel Company reel but i only use it for trout fishing its rated for 3/4 weight lines. It is a very nice reel very smooth but does not have much in the way of drag dont really need much for trout. its made from aluminum so should work in saltwater but you would want to look after it quite well. The bigger salmon reels have drag and would probably work better as a saltwater reel holding more line and backing. Hope that helps.

Jack.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Postby Tanglerat » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:02 pm

What jack sez.

I used one rated 5-7 last season for sea-trout, and it did the job nicely. Not much by way of a drag system, but that's not an issue if you play the fish by hand.

I've changed to a Grey's GRx this year, keeping the other for emergency use. Taking a look at it when I was changing over, it's surprising how much abuse it stood up to. Looks like a reel a lot more used than just one season. Still going good, though.

You could do worse.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Ryan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:32 am

Cheers guys for the replies.
I'm looking for couple reels for 7weight lines, been checking anything in the under £100 bracket and noticed those reels. Ideally would need a good drag, don't wanna put my fingers anywhere near the reel when something may be taking 100m on its first run! :lol: Be using it when i go to west Oz in march

May end up having to budget for something further up the price range, I'll need to keep it secret though from the boss :wink:
Ryan
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing