SWFF newbie

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

SWFF newbie

Postby Jonny » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:27 pm

Just bought myself a fly fishing outfit to play with on the shore and need answers to a few questions.

1.Do I need a licence for a fly rod when fishing from the shore in the north ?(I'm not nessesaraly targeting sea trout) :wink:

2.Would lures from Mackerel traces etc be as effective as proper flies ?(yes I know I'm a cheapskate) :roll:

3.If you answered no to question 2 what patterns would you suggest. :lol:

4.Can you add anything else a complete newbie needs to know ?
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
Jonny
Wayward Legs

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby jack01986 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Dont know about the licence wouldnt think so. Its just for sea trout and salmon in the south. They would probably work but could be a bit bulky, you would want some proper saltwater flies as well clousers and decievers in varying colours are good chartruesse, white and blue are good colours to use. Eyes on flys also help. A line tray is good as it stops your fly line getting caught up in your feet and damaged on rocks. Hope that helps.

Jack.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

SWFF

Postby JimH » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:03 pm

Jonny

go here for some quick FAQs
http://www.bassfishing.ie/Saltwater_fly_fishing.pdf

if you need any help give me a PM

best
Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby Jonny » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:07 pm

Thanks folks no doubt I'll be in touch. :roll: :lol:
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Jonny
Wayward Legs

Postby lumpy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:05 pm

if your looking at cheap flies to get started try some small hokkai's, also those tiny shrimp feathers are deadly for macks. you dont need a licience unless you catch a sea trout/salmon and intend to keep it. other advice is buy a pair of sun glasses, a fly cought in the wind can be pretty dangerous to your eyes. make your self a cheap stripping basket out of a wash basin and a webbed belt, if you google it you should find loads of different designs, their pretty straight forward. also get some casting lessons. the ability to double haul can lead to much more time fishing and alot less time casting.
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Jonny » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:31 pm

Cheers Lumpy I think by the looks of things I'll have my work cut out me over the next few months :oops: :lol:
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Jonny
Wayward Legs

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing