SEA TROUT

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

SEA TROUT

Postby thirty » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:30 am

Has anyone ever caught a sea trout from the beach on a fly? If so what type of fly?
Also do you continue to fly fish/spin on your bass marks in the winter months?
thirty
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 4 times

Sea trout

Postby JimH » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:29 am

It is very possible to catch sea trout in the sea on the coast whilst fly fishing. The trick is finding them in a location where they are in feeding mode and not simply passing through mode. The flies are many and varied. Do not confuse mullet activity with sea trout (jumping etc) its quite different

In 2007 i will have a summer school in Wexord with Sea trout anglers attending from Denmark - spending a week here learning Bass fly fishing methods etc. This is an exchange prgram and is still in development. But i think a lot of information could be learned by anglers at the 'school'.

Bass tend to become more and more 'erratic' in their behaviour and will dissappear usually around the end of December, you can continue to catch them with the right methods.

Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Sea Trout In the Sea

Postby BalticFlyFisher » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:56 am

Hello 30, yes its done all the time on the Baltic and the season is from January to December - with of course peaks in the spring when the large ie 5Kg+ sea trout come in as the herings move in to spawn, and the autumn where the trout get fat on shrimps before they spawn.

Basically you have two types of fly - fish/bait imitations for early spring and shrimp/prawn imitations for the rest of the year. I fish almost exclusively with shrimp patterns.

A good site to start looking at is Martin Jörgensens [url=http://www.globalflyfisher.com]Global Fly Fisher[/url] its a mine of information.

If you have any more q's drop me a mail or pm or just post and I will try and answer your question.
BalticFlyFisher

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing