Not to late is it.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:39 am

Not to late to flyfish or can it be done pretty much anytime. If the weathers nice. :D

Late

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:14 pm

jack

ist never too late to SWFF- try flounders, sanddabs, rockling, who knows!

Jim

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:35 pm

I thought so. What sort of flies would you use for flounder.

Jack.

SWFF - Autumn

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:22 am

Hi Jack

try a few flies like the spawning gotcha, or similar type paterns with a little colour and a sinking line. Small types of these 'bonefish' patterns sometimes work really well for dabs and flounders.

Also try the fateful clouser right on the bottom with a lift and drop retrieve.

If you have ice-chenile you can make really fantastic worm flies. I will be at the Dublin Show and will have these with me in a 'Tank'. They are proving great for wrasse/rockling/pollack etc

best
Jim

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:34 am

Have to re-stock the flytying box and get tying then. I have some sort of shrimp style patterns they might work and plenty of clousers. Thanks for the info.

Jack.

AUtumn fishing

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:15 pm

Jack

meant to mention to try some of the flies under an indicator (two even) especially if there is a little wave and flow of water - get the depth right and you will have some fun..light tippet and rapala knot on the fly.

best
Jim

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:26 pm

Might try that what can be used as an indicator, some bright wool or something that floats better like foam. I have some of both. Thanks for the tips again should help increase my catch rate.

Indicators

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:23 pm

Jack

if you can get a pack of SIERRA PACIFIC TIPPER indicators - 6.00 euros (6), secures on your leader and can be re-positioned etc for depth finding. if u want some just PM me.

Jim

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:54 pm

We were fishing Shrimp imitations a couple of weeks back in Portaferry, the Wee Pollack were loving them...

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:36 pm

You into SWFF now Drew?

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:19 am

I saw some of that SIERRA PACIFIC TIPPER for sale on glasgow angling centre website will probably order it from there.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:13 am

Marty Harrison wrote:You into SWFF now Drew?

Its good craic Marty 8) Fishing in the Lights of the Pier....

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:29 am

Drew wrote:
Marty Harrison wrote:You into SWFF now Drew?

Its good craic Marty 8) Fishing in the Lights of the Pier....

some of the pollack got flung into the air tho :lol:

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:17 am

caught my first fish on the fly weekend before last (before the cold snap) woo! (a mackeral)

Bass will still be around pollock too for a while I think

Wrasse success

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:14 am

Yesterday i had what i would consider to be the best wrasse on the fly session i have ever had. Customer from Geneva had 4 fish, i had 3.

They are responding to a very simple pattern the color of which i have never tried before, fished again this morning and the same thing, had 3 fish.

If anybody is interested i can PM the pattern and technique i am using - i would be very interested in finding out if it works else where.

Thanks
Jim

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:47 pm

Well done JIm its something ive been trying myself this year with little success.

Marty

Wrasse fly

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:29 am

sorry for the delay guys - busy

i will PM the fly to you shortly. The big thing i have noticed about the wrasse fly fishing - is the take. Im well used to catching them with ragworm and crab etc and i have witnessed countless rod rattling steals of bait - this is totally different.

The take is very agressive - like a smash take and there is no missing. Fish are on the hook all the time.

Cast the fly and let it sink - it helps if you have a little bit of height, retrieve and let the fly sink again and repeat. The weighted head carries the fly in a sink and draw swim. The takes always happen on the drop. and be ready .The retrieve is fast and then the drop is a natural 'fall'.

let me know how if any of you have similar experiences
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:18 am

thats a gotcha isnt it

Wrasse fly

Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:54 am

It is a gotcha with a two distinct properties

predominantly black and white/cream
    the incorporation of the magic head.

it also works with clousers and similar patterns.

the colour/action combination are the triggers i think

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:42 pm

ya ive used these majic heads and diving vanes wit pretty good success, give a pretty amazing action.what line were u fishing them on.