Saltwater Fly Fishing Festival

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Saltwater Fly Fishing Festival

Postby JimH » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:23 am

Any body interested in developing a Saltwater Fly Fishing Festival in the southern end of the country?

Best
Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby cortaz » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:53 pm

hi jim
i think if it was a fly/lure festival, as most of the guys that i,av seen s.w.f.f. have a lot to learn,
cortaz
Convicted Poacher - No Shame

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby lumpy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:00 am

i think it would be extremely succesful. i know of 5 very competitent fly fishermen down this way that would be most certainly.although i would hate it to be like the one reported in irish angler where anglers are fishing within feet of each other, reminds me of the east coast of america, not really for me.
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Marty Harrison » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:27 pm

Count me in guys, not before time.

Fly only and catch and release please :) :)

Marty
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

SWFF Festival

Postby JimH » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:22 am

Guys
thanks for the replies so far - am buried at the moment but i think we will keep this rolling forward - just a quick one regarding something thats on my mind - how would you consider the following or something similar

competititors are made aware of the venue/area two months before the festival - allows time to fish and explore
people meet the evening before the comp
names are put in drum
pairs are then drawn from the drum
the comp has two sessions each 4 hrs and is roving
one half of the pair decides his venue for comp one
the other half decides his venue for comp two
digi fotos must be returned and fish are measured in length

and on and on etc

how about the experienced guys doing a stint of demonstrations hands on training etc and maybe make one day a little more relaxed and informative?

best
Jim

PS South East Angling Ireland http://www.bassfishing.ie will sponsor a Bloke Fly Rod for the competition.
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby lumpy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:44 pm

i like that idea jim. at least it then reflects the roving/freedom nature that appeals to most flyfishers. would it be just bass that would be the target species or would u allow other species to be targeted. i.e pollock, bass, sea trout, mullet etc just in case tha bass dont play ball
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

SWFF Festival

Postby JimH » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:11 pm

No - i think all species would be admitted. Maybe a points system per species or something similar be might prudent

i.e. bass 5 points
flounder 15 points
Pollack 8 points

etc with a limit of two fish per species to eliminate the possibility of say pre-feeding a shoal of mullet!!!!

any idea thoughts are more than welcome

Thanks
Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby lumpy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:15 pm

ya that sounds fair alrite, although i think a relationship between and size would work, i.e as you said 5 points for a bass plus a point per cm length or similar. is their a large variatiety of species which could be realisticly targeted.

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing