what flies are you using?

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

what flies are you using?

Postby fenitbob » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:40 pm

Hi all, Can somebody put up a few pics of flies that work for pollock? what sizes should they be?
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby liamdenn » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:30 am

Big Gawdy flies are the name of the game for pollock. Have a search on google images for clouser and deceiver. They will take poppers and gurglers off the surface at night time
liamdenn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby lumpy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:43 pm

ive been catching alot on on quite specific patterns. to go on the assumption that if its big and gauy its gonna catch in my opinion is not sufficient. i fish with patterns which are a specific representations of small mackeral, pipefish, sandeel, launce, small pollock and round baitfish like small pouting respectively. you dont have to hav this many different patterns but have sum specific sandeel, mackeral and baby pollock patterns and try these in different situations to see what works.

i have fished with the so called gaudy flies and caught alot of small pollock but when i began to tie flies which were more specific mycatches increased and the average size of the fish i caught increased significantly, i even began catching pollock in places i didnt think the inhabited. its a similar concept to "matching the hatch"in freshwater fishing
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby lumpy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:45 pm

oh ya i forgot to say that i generally fish size 2/0 owners from america with the barb flattened
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Liamo » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:54 pm

Hi,

I know Bob Moss swears by very sparsely dressed blue and silver flies. They look more like mackerel feathers than the contraptions you see from the states!

Just two blue cock hackles for wings and some silver foil. That's it. He gets plenty of big uns in the 6 - 8lbs+ bracket too. Have a look at his DVD he's using one of them on it I think.

Had some great sport on the fly couple of weeks ago but we changed the fly to a small redgill and almost had a pollack every cast

Liam
Liamo

Pollack

Postby JimH » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:22 pm

FB

im a firm believer in keeping it very simple in respect to flies, like Liam says, any of the clouser or deceiver or indeed the half and half type will catch you fish very easily - correct presentation, depth and retrieve are more important than anything - couple this to confidence in your fishing and you will have no problems - they are only predators after all!

best
Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing