teeney 550 TW Flyline.

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

teeney 550 TW Flyline.

Postby lumpy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:11 pm

just got a new jim teeney 550 grain TS fly line from america. this is an extremely FAST SINKING LINE (9.5 INCHES PER SECOND). just thought id post a word on it. if their is anyone who fishes deep water marks for pollock get one. these lines are awssome. its possible ta shoot all 100 feet+ of line with 1 false cast. fished with it yesterday into a strong headwind and was still making 25+yards with a 5inch zonker fly(these are very wind resistant) with one false cast. the heads penetration into the wind was excellent with no tailing loops present, sumthing ive found with some scientific angler flylines. sinking rate was top notch and the fact that i got hung up on the bottom in 35 feet of water showed the true potential as to what depths are possible with this line.

one word of warning is that this line is not for the in experienced. because of the weight og the head the line has a habit of droppin quite low on the back cast which can lead to the afore mentioned tailing loops, one way to elleviate this is to use a type of steeple cast where by you stop ure bac cast halfway between 12 o clock and one, thus when the back cast does drop it is horizontal to the ground.

hope this is helpful to anyone interested.
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby MAC » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:05 am

Very interesting Lumpy. Might have to have a think about one. Where did you buy the line?

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby blaker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:50 am

I've been using this stuff for a while and it is absolutely the biz. You can actually fish sink and draw with this stuff in the right tide run which is pretty cool.

Agree with you on the casting difficulty though. I found trying a meaty spey cast could alleviate a few of these problems assuming you have the space in behind you.
blaker
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby lumpy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:39 pm

mac
i got it from the cabelas web site but i think most good fly fishing stockists should be able to order one. i got it from them aws my god father lives in kansas so i posted it to him and bypassed the parsal tax.

blakeralot of the marks i fish are quite inclosed hence the need to be able to cast with one false cast. interesting on the use of this line with a sink and draw retrieve. how exactly did u achieve this.i tried it the other evening with a minkey tied with a diving vane and had 4 good takes in the same area but none landed. im questioning whether the diving vane has an adverse effect on hooking ability
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby blaker » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:28 pm

Lumpy sorry about the delay in replying.

The sink and draw is a bit agricultural really. Fish over a tide run (ie cast straight out if the tide is running straight away from you). This allows you to retrieve against the tide and allow the fly drift back with the tide. It works very well for low lying fish or sluggish feeders and I've found it really effective in getting fish when nothing else has worked
blaker
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby lumpy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:57 pm

oh i see what you mean. its pretty similar to the way we fish small zonkers and wolly buggers at the start of the trout season. very interesting tho, never really thought of trying it for saltwater species tho

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Tailing loops and SA lines

Postby JimH » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:17 pm

just a quick mention to your reference of tailing loops in scientific anglers fly lines.

Tailing loops are not caused by fly line design but rather by a 'rushed' or 'forced and badly timed' cast. It is often neccessary to adjust your casting stroke according to fly choice as im sure you are aware.

By improving casting form you will eliminate your tailing loops in nearly all instances. The teeney line has probably 'ironed' your casting stroke slightly - it is possible to generate tailing loops in any fly line on demand.

Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby lumpy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:23 pm

im aware of the cause of them and they are sumthing which plagued me wehn i began flyfishing, but ive fished with numerous models of cortland fly lines, a couple of rio fly lines, and one micheal evens line and dont seem to get them with these. a friend of mine who is a pretty accomplished fly caster claims the same occurs with him when he uses the same scientific anler linee, although these were bought at a reduced price and ive noticd that the are quite supple for a cold water line, wheter or not this effects them im unsure.

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

tailing loops

Postby JimH » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:37 am

L - it seems odd allright - especially with your combined experiences - maybe a manfacturing fault in the line hence the reduced price?

keep catchin'
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby lumpy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:19 pm

possibly, although i dd tend to fish quite large flies which create a big sillouette with this line, so maby its just throwing my stoke off.

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing