Pre-work fishing

Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:58 am

Nice little north Dublin bass ,had an alarm set to go to work ignored it and 3 casts later fish on
[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200723/bfaa86f2352eedda8389cd2f19dd2155.jpg[/

Catch and release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Pre-work fishing

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Can't see pic.. :?

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Nice one fair play. Say you're chuffed with that.. Must give it a go. That's spurred me on ! Pic link worked for me chuckaroo. Just make sure to copy no further than .jpg before pasting into browser

Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi Eoghan, could you recommend any flies that I could use with a 6/7 trout set up. I've a 7 weight floating line. I have some tbs flies and a few salmon flies. Would I pick up something suitable in the local tackle shops would you say?

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:20 pm

Your light trout gear will take a hammering ,but by all means give it a go ,I normally use a clear intermediate shooting head line on a 10weight saltwater rod ,I’ve seen flies in most tackle shops that will do ye but they may be too big for your set up,maybe try tying some as light as possible,I make my own flies they don’t need to be too complicated once they look like a small fish ,if you put it in the right spot they will work ,also a quick retrieve works well ,a stripping basket helps aswell,mines made from an old 25ltr drum with cable ties as spikes

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:29 pm

That's sound Eoghan. Cheers for the advice. I might just give it a bash with some of the smaller flies on a calm day with clear water and see how it goes sure. Well done again on the bass. Nice result for this neck of the woods

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:56 pm

daveboy

Whilst a calm day and calm water are not always the best conditions for Bass if those conditions coincide with dawn or dusk and a mark which is reaffey or has current you could catch ok. Estuaries can be great places to try with light gear. A black low water salmon type fly could work or a Trout Lure like a Cats Whisker. Be warned fly fishing is a very addictive way to catch Bass.

Mike

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:47 am

Thanks Mike. That's exactly what I have in mind - an estuary at dusk.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:12 pm

Congratulations on the lovely silver bass eoghan sir I'm still waiting for my first of the year!!

Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:48 pm

time well spent Eoghan! nice one

Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:29 pm

Sweet!