Time of year to fish?

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Time of year to fish?

Postby FlyFisher » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:17 am

New to SWFF - just wondering what time of year I can expect to head out to a few marks along the east coast and have a chance at catching something.

My goal for this year is to catch my first bass and first mullet - both on the fly preferably.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!
FlyFisher
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Time of year to fish?

Postby Kgarr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Flyfisher, you obviously enjoy a challenge, and I respect you for that. I've been SWFF'ing the east coast for the past 10 years, I'd recommend getting a ST licence and target them from now until April/May. When the water heats up a bit (10c+) move to Bass, Pollack & Mullet. You could always get lucky, but in my experience, targeting Bass on the fly between Jan - March is a bit of a Lottery, and for the die-hards ( I still try every year!)
PM me, I can give you a steer on a few marks if you want?

Kgarr
Kgarr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby FlyFisher » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 am

Kgarr wrote:Flyfisher, you obviously enjoy a challenge, and I respect you for that. I've been SWFF'ing the east coast for the past 10 years, I'd recommend getting a ST licence and target them from now until April/May. When the water heats up a bit (10c+) move to Bass, Pollack & Mullet. You could always get lucky, but in my experience, targeting Bass on the fly between Jan - March is a bit of a Lottery, and for the die-hards ( I still try every year!)
PM me, I can give you a steer on a few marks if you want?

Kgarr

Tried PMing you but not sure if you got it because I don't think it will let me PM until I've made more posts. Any tips and advice you can PM me with would be greatly appreciated!
FlyFisher
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby eoghanb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm

If the water is clear there's always a chance of a seatrout if there around
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing