Flies for Pollock

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Flies for Pollock

Postby Paulb » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Anyone got any recommendations for Pollock flies. I usually fish the rocks of the North Antrim coast and have the usual box of sandeel representations and chartreuse clousers etc. Just wondering has anyone had any success with other variations for Pollock, keep hearing orange is a good colour choice.
Paulb
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Flies for Pollock

Postby Morgan44 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:33 pm

Hello paulb, I tie my own flies for pollock and have had good success with home made . I don't think you have to be to subtle with pollock flies . I usually do a red underbelly and silver and brown top and a bit of glitter in there . For ten euros I bought hooks and all the bits needed and tied 25 pollock flies . Same with anything in fishing but it was a fantastic feeling catching a load of pollock on flies you have tied yourself .
Morgan44
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby Morgan44 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:36 pm

Hello paulb, I tie my own flies for pollock and have had good success with home made . I don't think you have to be to subtle with pollock flies . I usually do a red underbelly and silver and brown top and a bit of glitter in there . For ten euros I bought hooks and all the bits needed and tied 25 pollock flies . Same with anything in fishing but it was a fantastic feeling catching a load of pollock on flies you have tied yourself .

For this message the author Morgan44 has received thanks:
Paulb (Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:33 pm)
Morgan44
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby Paulb » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks Morgan, caught all mine on sandeel type flies synthetic tails and mylar body although these are the only flies I have fished consistently, may be time for a bit more experimentation this year.
Paulb
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Tanglerat » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:58 am

I like a black/red combo for Pollock, but as Morgan44 says, Pollock are not at all subtle when they're switched on! Have a word with Andy over at ChasingSilver, he may be more of a Bass/ Sea Trout guy but I bet he's got an idea or two in his head.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Paulb » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:25 pm

Cheers!
Paulb
SAI Lug Worm

Postby ninted » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi Paul I used to do a lot of fly fishing for pollock and found a slow retrieve with an intermediate or slow sinking line to be more important than the fly itself. Once it gets dusk (especially in the summer) switch to a floating line and a floating fly, maybe with some lumanessence on it but keep the retrieve slow, and I mean a snails pace! This certainly worked well for me and I would let the line sink before even starting to retrieve, counting down to find a good consistent starting depth. For pollock in the day time, if you're fishing quite shallow water (10-25 ft) I find that if your not loosing the odd fly, you're not fishing deep enough. I also used a lot of medium sized salmon flies, including shrimp and tube type which worked really well, even for quite large pollock. Sometimes you might have a box of old salmon flies lying around and there might be one or two will turn out to be killers!

Tight lines!

For this message the author ninted has received thanks: 2
Paulb (Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:52 pm), roryodonnell (Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:52 am)
ninted
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 29 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing