saltwater fly.

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

saltwater fly.

Postby davwin » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:42 pm

seen a few post on subject. Liemden fished dungarvan area. I live there and just wanted to know exact location iff poss. I have had a little success on the CUNNAGER (Not sure about speling) Will be really going for it this year. Im mainly a river on fly angler but love to go for the Bass on fly. Problem is I only use 7-8 weight tackle. Ive read that it should be higher.
Any help appreciated
davwin

Postby MAC » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:32 pm

Instead of looking for an exact spot... very few people will share without knowing you personally. Just try any shallow rocky patch in the area. One thats covered / uncovered with the tide should hold Bass down those parts. Deciever patterns will get you started...... Cunnigar, is a different type of mark. Only tried it once. Try using slimmer decievers tied with artifical hair rather than Bucktail. Lama hair would do the business as well. I like the more neutral colours light olive / White or Tan / White.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

fly.

Postby davwin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:54 pm

Thanks for that Kev. I do use deciever patterns, much like you said. never thought about that type of mark before. There are plenty round here fitting description. Still not sure if I have to use heavier tackle though. Any help appreciated,

Good luck

dave
davwin

Postby lumpy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:10 pm

hey ya davwin. like ure self i started off fishing with a 7/8 rod but a couple of years ago i baught a 10 wt. number 1 it enabled me to fish in wind conditions with that i have found produce fish and which i was unable to fish in previously because of a fly rod with too little power. secondley im a big advocate of fishing larger flies and not only deciecers. i fish alot of zonker type patterns, decievers and large surface lures up to 7/8 inches for bass and pollock and a 7/8 wt does not have sufficient power to comfortably punch out these flies. a 7/8 wt rod is fine for calm conditions and smaller flies, but to decrease the amount of time your casting and increase your actual fishing time i would strongly advise on a 10 wt.
this is only my opinion based on experiences i have had, others may disagree.
p.s learn how to double haul cast if you do not already know how to.

For this message the author lumpy has received thanks:
Pubs (Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:39 pm)
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby MAC » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:04 am

Spot on Lumpy...... A heavier rod is a must. A 10wt will be required if you are going to fish in windy conditions and you can chuck heavier flies. I have a 10wt, but recently have felt that it's a bit too powerful. I am looking at a 9wt for this year. With regard to spots, I think you have lots of those rocky type marks all around Dungarvan Bay and most will have Bass on them. I think your 7/8wt would be fine for calmer weather and Cunnigar..... like i mentioned, I think slimmer flies are the way to go on this spot.

Tight lines and please post any catchs here.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby Bradan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:22 pm

I'm also thinking of upgrading to a 9 or 10 wt rod instead of my 7/8 trout outfits - any recommendations? A friend recommended the Daiwa Wilderness 9'6 9wt, he reckons he could cast a brick with it! (not that I'll be using bricks, think that might be overkill :lol: )

Anyone got one or can recommend another rod??

Hoping to spend less than 150-175 yoyos so nothing that will cost a months salary!
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby Marty Harrison » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:44 pm

Im currently using the Scierra 9ft 9wt Blue Water rod and find it great for big (and small) flies and dealing with the wind. Its a very light rod in the hand with a med/tip action, comes in 3pc and is as saltwater proof as any rod can be. I was able to pick it up for just over £100 by shopping around. My mate who is a very experienced fly fisher has bougth the 10wt version of it and is also delighted for the above reasons. I should also mention that it comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Marty
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby lumpy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:31 pm

how are marty. i'm the same had one of them for a long while until i bought a sage. found them a lovely rod. one thing i noted with it was that if you did not sufficiently look after it, ie washing and cleaning it after use the non-snake eye eyes tended to corrode. other than this i found it a great rod. took hard fighting pollock to over 8lbs on it with out too much hastle. the one thing i would say about buying rods in general and forgot to say it earlier is that no matter how expensive a rod is if one does not have the ability to cast it they will have little success. on this basis i would advise any formal freshwater angler taking up saltwater fishing to get lessons. they helped me no end. also invest in a specific coldwater flyline designed for the sea. freshwaterlines are not up to the rigours of the sea.
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

saltwater fly.

Postby davwin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:02 pm

Well. What can I say. Thanks, LUMPY, MAC, BRADAN MARTY. for all that info. Im hopefully going up to the show this w.e so will look out for a new rod and some poppers. Although I have seen plenty about and I will try out the decievers for a while. I did read an article (think it was Irish Angler) It was a series on saltwater fly. Anyhow it suggested using a popper and a smaller fly on the tip and surprisingly most of the takes where on the small fly, so I guess that sugest that a good attracter works well. (as it does with trout) Will also get a sea line cos I have noticed mine is wearing with the salt One more ? for all you experts. Is a floating line best and would a sinking leader be a good choice or is it best to keep the fly on or near the surface.

Thanks so much for the help.

Good luck.

Dave
davwin

salt water fly

Postby davwin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:06 pm

just one more thing. My casting is pretty good. (double haul etc) One good thing about the Cunnigar is its very shallow (which many know) so you can get around nearer to the fish. Never tried for pollock so will definately be on the lookout. Are the same flies used for pollack?

Thanks again lads.

Dave
davwin

Postby lumpy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:45 pm

i generally fish with a fast intermediate of about sink rate 2.2-3 inchs per second. find them great for poppers. they cause the popper to dive just below the surface on every pull before popping up again when the tension is released. for the pollock my no 1 fly is a six inch orange zonker tailed fly, with a chartreause arctic fox collor about 2 inches in length a pearl mylar body and pleanty of flashabou in the wing. use big adhesive eyes for more attraction. looks and sounds horrendous but works for me. taken pollock to near double figures on it. oh and if you do fish for pollock make sure your drag is well tightened, and your leader is 30lb hard mono, pollack fight alot dirtier than bass, and their first dive is virtually unstoppable in any pollock over about 4 lbs. as you can tell im a bit of a pollack fanatic.
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

saltwater fly

Postby davwin » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:34 pm

hi lumpy. thanks again all your tips. Going for the pollack sounds great fun. Definately on my hit list. Got some great marks for pollack around here. (Sorry another ?) when is a good time to start fishing for them. Once again, thanks.

Dave
davwin

Postby lumpy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:52 pm

no problem. i generally start fishing for them about the start of may. but thats really because im in collage up the country till then so dont get much time to fish for them until collage is over. as regards marks ive found that ure usual pollock marks should suffice but one thing is dont be dsicouraged if people are not catching on spinners feathers etc as i cant count the number of times ive caught when others have failed. oh ya prepare to fail as the only way i learned is through my mistakes. had numerous blanks until i succeeded, worth it in the end. oh ya as regard fly depth if you are not getting the odd hook up in kelp you are not fishing deep enough. tight lines
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing