Mullet flies - Cork Harbour

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Mullet flies - Cork Harbour

Postby christymax » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:44 am

Hi fellas/ladies,

I had a small bit of sucess with mullet on bread flies last June in Kerry. It was great sport when we could get them feeding on bread. Tried the same in Cork Harbour in September but couldn't get them feeding on bread. Tried a good few days too. Just wondering if any of you have had success in the Cork Harbour area (very silty/slob bottom) and what files you got them on. Or the time of year?

Been looking at sand-hopper and maggot imitations but I reckon these probably would work better off weedy/sandy beaches on big tides. I guess I need to figure out what they're feeding on in the more murky/slobby water?

Any help much appreciated.
christymax
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Mullet flies - Cork Harbour

Postby chuckaroo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:14 pm

christymax wrote:I guess I need to figure out what they're feeding on in the more murky/slobby water?

I intend to do some mullet fly fishing this year and so have been reading-up a little on the subject. I'm no expert but reckon your statement quoted here could be the key.
have a read at this: http://leslieholmesinternationalschoolo ... e-fly.html
its a brilliant write-up from a man who spent many years fishing for mullet and actually guided successfully for them up this way. he relays a lot of hard-earned info here
hope it helps
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks: 2
Kgarr (Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:30 pm), lucky13 (Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:12 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby christymax » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks Charlie.

Its a great article alright. I'll give a few small shrimp fies a swim this year so. One thing I've noticed from a number of articles is a red head or bead as a trigger for the mullet. It'll be a couple of weeks yet before I'll get a cast at them though. I'll let you know if I score!

For this message the author christymax has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:04 pm)
christymax
SAI Lug Worm

Postby lucky13 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:22 pm

excellent article chuckaroo.mad for just one mullet on the fly meself.i had a good lash at them last year in cork harbour over 6/7 days,i whipped the tide into a foam with okey dokey buzzers that one of the lads on here suggested to me,killer bugs which both kinda look like larvae and even a shite fly :roll: the only one that took they're interest was the killer bug,i could see them swim up to it even nose at it only to piss off again...very frustrating!
must get on the thinking cap again and sit down at the vice with a bucket of coffee :)

For this message the author lucky13 has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:37 pm)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Postby salar » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:35 pm

I have tried every fly in the box. I have 'tied' every fly in the box, including the red glass bead head diawl bach - and the mullet in Cork Harbour - or at least the part of the harbour that I fish, steadfastly ignore them all - other than the bread fly.

Apparently the red bead head Diawl Bach and variations of mud shrimp are a killer in parts of the UK, the green weed fly is a killer in Denmark - but my local mullet ( 5 minutes walk away) couldn't care less. Bread gets em going though. However, the bread fly should be as soft as bread. Tie it with material that is soft or they will reject quicker than you can set a hook. Fish with very light leaders and razor sharp hooks size 6 -10

I have caught hundreds of salmon on the fly - but when it comes right down to the sport of fly fishing, the humble mullet on the fly are just as good - and somewhat less expensive to pursue.

Kevin

For this message the author salar has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:41 am)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 72 times

Postby Kgarr » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:31 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
christymax wrote:I guess I need to figure out what they're feeding on in the more murky/slobby water?

I intend to do some mullet fly fishing this year and so have been reading-up a little on the subject. I'm no expert but reckon your statement quoted here could be the key.
have a read at this: http://leslieholmesinternationalschoolo ... e-fly.html
its a brilliant write-up from a man who spent many years fishing for mullet and actually guided successfully for them up this way. he relays a lot of hard-earned info here
hope it helps

great link! thanks Chuckaroo!

For this message the author Kgarr has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:41 am)
Kgarr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby christymax » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:34 am

Thanks Kevin,

I'll have to give the bread another lash too this year.
christymax
SAI Lug Worm

Postby JimH » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:31 am

http://www.stsflyfishing.co.uk/index.ph ... art-i.html

The above has great insights into mullet - any success I've enjoyed has been very timing and location specific - in other words I don't fish IN Wexford hbr for fish with any fly however I DO fish for them on the entrances or confined transit points for very short periods drifting into their path

For this message the author JimH has received thanks: 2
chuckaroo (Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:37 pm), lucky13 (Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:00 pm)
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby lucky13 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:09 pm

another good read thanks jimh.can anyone shed some light on what other mullet species we have in cork harbour would i be right in saying we have more golden greys than thick lipped or thin lipped :?:
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby JimH » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:24 pm

For this message the author JimH has received thanks:
lucky13 (Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:03 pm)
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby christymax » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:38 am

lucky13 wrote:another good read thanks jimh.can anyone shed some light on what other mullet species we have in cork harbour would i be right in saying we have more golden greys than thick lipped or thin lipped :?:

From what I've seen there's more of the bigger thick lipped boyos in the inner harbour rooting around in the silt. These are the lads I've throwing been flies and bread at with no success. Off the beaches I've seen shoals of smaller fish (dunno if they're golden greys or thin lipped) as well as thick lipped. I reckon I'll concentrate on high tide fishing off weedy beaches this year. At least I know what they're feeding on then.

For this message the author christymax has received thanks:
lucky13 (Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 pm)
christymax
SAI Lug Worm

Postby lucky13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:10 pm

christymax wrote:From what I've seen there's more of the bigger thick lipped boyos in the inner harbour rooting around in the silt. These are the lads I've throwing been flies and bread at with no success.

in the same boat as me lad...ive fed them bread,groundbaited bread,floated and freelined bread but the only signs ive got of interest we'll say is on the fly...ghosts they are lad.
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lucky13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:13 pm

i'll be tyin those few lad. :D
what size hook would u recommend or should i just vary them like,a few of each?
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby salar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Update...

Fishing idotea patterns - in particular Colin McLeod's Ghost Buster - on the dead drift has worked for me in West Cork this year. Haven't tried it in Cork Harbour because as yet the Mullet have not turned up in my usual spots to try it out. Previously I have fished the bread fly which works and wet fly patterns on various rates of retrieve which definitely do NOT work in my spots. The dead drift - as in nymph fishing - is worth a serious look at and is probably going to be the main way of catching mullet on the fly other than the bread fly.

All of which is extremely vague and given the newness of mullet on the fly, is hardly surprising given that a similar question about salmon fly fishing would be backed up by probably a lifetime of experience and more than a century of bibliography.

In other words definitive methods of catching mullet on the fly are yet to be discovered. However, given the angling challenge and fighting qualities of the mullet, well worth the time spent.

Kevin

For this message the author salar has received thanks:
lucky13 (Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:40 am)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Postby christymax » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Thanks Kevin and Lucky 13.

I reckon dead drifting very small patterns might be a way forward alright. Any updates much appreciated

Chris.
christymax
SAI Lug Worm

Postby lucky13 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Its not over yet,tied and tried the corophuim volutator and the flexi shrimp and a killer bug Wednesday,all dead drifting, to get a scattering of fish with a few returning to check out my fly...so i changed to longer finer leader,no way would they play ball,no takers but definitely had interest.not much shoaling yet just a few wanderers...
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby salar » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 pm

lucky13 wrote:Its not over yet,tied and tried the corophuim volutator and the flexi shrimp and a killer bug Wednesday,all dead drifting, to get a scattering of fish with a few returning to check out my fly...so i changed to longer finer leader,no way would they play ball,no takers but definitely had interest.not much shoaling yet just a few wanderers...

If they were easy to catch, you would probably quickly lose interest fairly quickly.

A couple of decades from now catching mullet on the fly may be considered with the same reverence as catching trout on the dry fly on a gin clear chalk stream - except that mullet fishing is free- whilst fishing dry fly on chalk streams is for the super- rich.

In other words, stick with it.

Kevin

For this message the author salar has received thanks: 2
enoonan001 (Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:37 pm), lucky13 (Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:34 pm)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Postby christymax » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:41 pm

lucky13 wrote:Its not over yet,tied and tried the corophuim volutator and the flexi shrimp and a killer bug Wednesday,all dead drifting, to get a scattering of fish with a few returning to check out my fly...so i changed to longer finer leader,no way would they play ball,no takers but definitely had interest.not much shoaling yet just a few wanderers...

The action might hot a bit when there's more fish shoaling and competing in a couple of weeks. What size hooks are you tying on? I've a few Ghostbuster-type creations ready for a swim on size 12 hooks. Haven't been out yet though.
christymax
SAI Lug Worm

Postby lucky13 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:04 am

christymax wrote:

The action might hot a bit when there's more fish shoaling and competing in a couple of weeks. What size hooks are you tying on? I've a few Ghostbuster-type creations ready for a swim on size 12 hooks. Haven't been out yet though.

i started off with kamasan barbless animal spades,in sizes 10 and 12 simply because they were the only hooks i had lying around small enough,i havent spent mad money on this lark yet..then i tied some with the kamasan b911 barbless spades i found lying around in the shed,glad i didnt hook up on those after some of the stuff i heard about the fight theses bad boys give,hard 'nuff to keep 'em on with a barb im told,but both types a complete balls to tie,obviously because i had to tie the spade end knot,roll up the hook length and tie my fly with that obstruction hanging off the end of my vice...the other day tho i got me some kamasan b980 size 16 specimen eyed some b175 size 10 heavy trout hook and some kamasan x-strong barbed spades with hook length attached,sizes 18 and 20 tied to 2.5lbs line...must tie up some more but im in trace and weight making mode at the moment... :)
running savage low
still fairly new to swff...so any pointers on hooks or anything else are definatly welcome
:)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby salar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Landed two and hooked three on Tuesday. Using a bread fly indicator and a shrimp pattern below. That day they were more interested in the indicator.

My sidekick Sam, an eighteen month Springer, has become a fly rod dog rather than a gun dog, he can spot the tiniest ripple and fin breaking the surface and go into the same set as if it were a pheasant. Seems to understand what fly fishing for mullet is all about.

For this message the author salar has received thanks: 2
enoonan001 (Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:22 pm), lucky13 (Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:46 pm)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Next

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing