Mullet flies - Cork Harbour

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Re: Mullet flies - Cork Harbour

Postby salar » Mon May 05, 2014 2:17 pm

B&Q stocks lots brands of silicone. The brand name of the one I got there is called Diall (Transparent) for bathrooms etc.
It seems to be identical both colour and smell to the aquarium type (which I also have) used by Glen Poynton the originator of the soft touch shrimp.

Silicone has quite a strong chemical odour while it is curing so probably best not fished for a day or so after tying.

For this message the author salar has received thanks:
lucky13 (Mon May 05, 2014 4:16 pm)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 72 times

Postby lucky13 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:21 pm

hurler01 wrote:I''ve already tied up some diawl Bach imitations and shrimps similarities to Salar's. I''ll get pics of them up. What weight of a road are u usin? I was thinking of getting a cheap 5 wt or maybe 6 wt sometime. I''ve a good 8 wt.

i tell ya lad i have an old rod,the christmas rod i call it,the colour of it lad :lol: its an 8wt and i use both an 5/6 and 7/9 reel on it...theres probably all sorts wrong with doing that... :roll: i use the 7/9 reel mostly hoping for a big lad to take me down to the backing!
but i aint no big distance caster on a fly rod...thankfully i dont need to be...ahem,for now :)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Postby lucky13 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:01 pm

this bad boy looks the kitty altoghether...http://youtu.be/RErduskK7cc
on some of that uv stuff :)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Postby salar » Fri May 16, 2014 10:04 pm

A flat calm morning gave me an opportunity to asses the mullet population in my usual spot. Its about 10% of what it should be. You cant take a 120,000 mullet in a shot out of the stock and send it for fishmeal without an effect. Mullet, unlike herring and mackerel, are not a sustainable species for commercial fishing.

Get it through your heads that mullet need the same protection as Bass

I put this post up on the Angling News etc given that the sea angling fraternity seem to be to be in a policy coma.

lucky13 (Tue May 20, 2014 8:33 pm)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Postby salar » Mon May 19, 2014 3:45 pm

And it gets worse....
Today I arrived at my spot to find it being netted and cleared of the few mullet in residence. I gather a market has opened up for mullet.

Don't invest to much money or effort in mullet angling as it is unlikely that they will be available very shortly. Seen it all before.
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Postby hurler01 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Who was netting the fish? Did you catch them in the act?
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby christymax » Tue May 20, 2014 7:06 pm

Sorry to hear about the netting salar. Hope it wasn't a sign of things to come. Where did you see them at it? I was out for a few hours today and yesterday. Seemed to be a lot of fish around. They totally ignored my foam bread-fly. Couldn't get them feeding on the bread no matter how much I threw at them. I gave my imitation of sand-hopper/shrimp a swim too and it was similarly ignored. Think a trip to B+Q is on the cards!
christymax
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby hurler01 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Another link here that suggests salmon shrimp ties:
http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/ezine ... e-munn.php
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby christymax » Mon May 26, 2014 3:42 pm

A bit of success today! Hooked two fish on a bread fly, and both of them threw the hook after a few seconds. But its progress none the less.

For this message the author christymax has received thanks: 2
chuckaroo (Mon May 26, 2014 5:25 pm), lucky13 (Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:57 pm)
christymax
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby salar » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:54 pm

An update:

My usual spot which was a covenient 5 minute walk down the road is now devoid of mullet. I groundbaited the spot for six weeks and just when it became a viable fly fishery - it was netted.

I have watched the same individual ( just one - SO FAR) for the past couple of months and he is systematically cleaning out every mullet mark in Cork Harbour.

The slow growing Mullet (and from recent research regarding bass) are indigenous to a particular spot in the estuary ---- Once they are gone--they are gone for decades.

Regarding the commercial fishery and the extremely slow recruitment of the mullet - it is just a short-lived quick buck for a few individuals (50 euro a box I am told -which surprises me and is enough to initiate a gold rush and species disaster) but undoubtedly enough for me to abandon fly fishing for mullet around here.

Fly fishing for Mullet? Forget about it around here.

But then again when it comes to proper fisheries management - we have never been in even in the also rans.

lucky13 (Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:58 pm)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Previous

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing