gonna chance me arm...

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

gonna chance me arm...

Postby lucky13 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 pm

a couple of months ago i became the owner of a fly reel,an aul lad gave it to me at work 'cause he knew i was mad bout the fishing but despite my efforts to inform him that i dont use such a reel when i fish he insisted i have it.so into the shed it went.3 weeks later i became the owner of two fly rods for doing a good turn. :) one of them a 15ft salmon rod and the other a 12ft river/lake rod maybe? i dunno but i am sure of the salmon rod,your lad in midleton tackle shop confirmed it for me thank f**k 'cause im lost with this sorta gear.so now i have a reel and rod capable for swf bass fishing? :idea: faith? my predicament.i can cast both handy enough thanks to youtube and the countryside around me,but i'd be thinking the salmon rod (double hand yoke) is the way to go for bass-fly-fishing..the thing is how can i tell if my reel and line are up to the job? the rods defo look old to me,the shorter is in perfect nick but the salmon rod some feckin eejit painted wine.am in the process of revealing it,mad patterns on it tho!
would i need to buy new backing,line and leader? any tips at all on tackle recieved with respect.
is there any way i can tell what WT the line on my reel is?
any tips/links on leader,knots,flies,etc greatly appreciated,some great salt water fly threads on here..good stuff :)
i have tied about 8 different flies now (mostly mullet/sea trout flies,peter ross,black pennel and the green and white okey dokey buzzer etc,all with no luck catching)so gots the swing of tying but i am a newbie again and loving it, :wink: i know where there is a few bass biting the odd time and would love to catch them on fly even tho i have never caught one on a lure... :?
cheers for any knowledge parted.
:)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Re: gonna chance me arm...

Postby eeler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:06 pm

If you look at the rods it should tell you a rating on it like 7/8. 7/9. 9/10. That will give you the weight line you should use with the rod. You should get a good quality line to match the rod, it,ll make casting a lot easier. I use a shorter rod 9 to 9.6 ft for swff but im sure you could use a longer one. Different flies work in different parts of the country. For bass up here id use a small baitfish pattern or a clouser and for seatrout i mostly use teal blue and silvers in a estuary and gadgets nearer the sea. A zonker or a minkie would probably work also.

For this message the author eeler has received thanks:
lucky13 (Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:41 am)
eeler
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby lucky13 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:01 pm

eeler wrote:If you look at the rods it should tell you a rating on it like 7/8. 7/9. 9/10. That will give you the weight line you should use with the rod. You should get a good quality line to match the rod, it,ll make casting a lot easier. I use a shorter rod 9 to 9.6 ft for swff but im sure you could use a longer one. Different flies work in different parts of the country. For Bass up here id use a small baitfish pattern or a clouser and for seatrout i mostly use teal blue and silvers in a estuary and gadgets nearer the sea. A zonker or a minkie would probably work also.

these rods are auld lad,i cant even find a name on them nevermind rating numbers,plus some monkey painted the longer rod :roll:
...but thanks for the help man cause im lost in this neck of the woods..ive seen the teal blue an silvers and they look deadly for down around here,will try a few rogans gadets too,must have a sconse at the other flies you mentioned...ill stick to the shorter rod too.
is there any way of telling what line i already have on the reel?
i havent spent a cent on this yet,made my own fly clamp and tread winder thing and tied a few flies and all,had most of the stuff i needed lying around,but i want to see if i fall for it before i go spending crazy bobs on line and other swff gear...
c'mere boy thanks for the reply..fair play to ya man. :wink:
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby gd » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:57 pm

You have asked a lot of questions and best advice would be to get a capable fly angler to inform you further by looking at or using the equipment.

In the meantime checking the taper of the lines you can do visually to confirm if you have double taper or weight forward lines etc. Cast them in some local lake or something to see if you have floating or intermediate lines. Telling the exact wt of the lines is not so easy but a capable caster should be able to give a rough idea as to what lines you have to suit what rods.

8wt or 9wt gear of about 9 feet in length is most common using weight forward lines or shooting heads. Reel choice is not all that important but having lots of backing loaded on it is.

If you can get away with the gear you have for the moment work away catching some pollack or coalfish and if you feel like an upgrade you could pick up some discounted bargains over the winter months.

For this message the author gd has received thanks:
lucky13 (Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:24 am)
gd
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 43 times

Postby lucky13 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 pm

gd wrote:You have asked a lot of questions and best advice would be to get a capable fly angler to inform you further by looking at or using the equipment.

In the meantime checking the taper of the lines you can do visually to confirm if you have double taper or weight forward lines etc. Cast them in some local lake or something to see if you have floating or intermediate lines. Telling the exact wt of the lines is not so easy but a capable caster should be able to give a rough idea as to what lines you have to suit what rods.

8wt or 9wt gear of about 9 feet in length is most common using weight forward lines or shooting heads. Reel choice is not all that important but having lots of backing loaded on it is.

If you can get away with the gear you have for the moment work away catching some pollack or coalfish and if you feel like an upgrade you could pick up some discounted bargains over the winter months.

had a bash today at some sea trout i spotted tuesday night,didnt get no where near the backing..i think my reel is a 5/6 and my line is definatly intermediate...i used a black pennel and i tell ya it didnt last long...2 or 3 fish jumping kept the interest going but no bites so i changed to the peter ross,with no result either...i think i need more distance in my cast,found it much harder in the wind!...any ideas lad? was tempted to throw on some split shot but i didnt..it aint easy! gave up on the fly and went to the spinnin rod and mepps spoon,from bronze to silver in a weak attempt not to blank,but thats the way she goes. :roll:

For this message the author lucky13 has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:15 am)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Tanglerat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Sea Trout out of season now?

For this message the author Tanglerat has received thanks:
lucky13 (Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:29 pm)
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby lucky13 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Tanglerat wrote:Sea Trout out of season now?

as far as i know lad,closed season is from november 1st-february 31st... :)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby lucky13 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:45 pm

i just had a look online there and its all a bit up in the air...different closed seasons for different rivers and tidal loughs etc in cork,but there isnt much of a mention of sea fishing for them,is there like a district standard closed season for cork harbour and or cork county when fishing for them in the sea?
i am between minds to believe or not,what i originally was told to be the closed season...anyone know the crack?
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing