Salty sea trout

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Salty sea trout

Postby Mick the fish » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:38 pm

Hello there everybody!

I've just joined this forum and I have to say, I'm impressed! Some very good topics. I fish mainly Carlingford lough for bass and I do quite well. However, I've seen some cracking sea trout but found them almost impossible to catch! I've taken the odd fish around the 1-2lb mark, but nothing consistent and the larger fish are still eluding me! (Don't they always?!)

Does anybody have any info on flies to use in the sea for sea trout? What size / pattern should they be? I have a feeling I may be fishing too large a fly. Usually a sandeel imitation on a 1 or 2 hook.

Also, what is the best time of year to target them? The bass are all but gone from my usual marks, and I've turned my attention to pike! Would the sea trout be back down from the rivers yet and would they be in good condition?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated,

Tight lines,

Mick
Mick the fish

Postby blowin » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:41 am

Hi Mick ,
Can't help with the fly stuff but if you check out this thread you'll see that you can catch pike in the sea . Big ones too . So all is not lost .
Good luck
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... php?t=4072
blowin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby liamdenn » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:49 am

I think maybe you r going a bit big on the fly size. but the patterns should b ok as long as there are sandeel in the lough which I asume there are if u r catching bass on those flies. They should b back down at the mouth of the river in the next month or so but it isnt really fair to catch them as it will kill an awful lot of them in their weakened state. Unlike salmon most sea trout do live on and breed again so give them a chance to get into good condition. down where I fish april may is usually the best time to fish although around bray it is usually later into the summer. hope thats a help
liamdenn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Salty sea trout

Postby Bradan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:42 pm

Mick the fish wrote:

Does anybody have any info on flies to use in the sea for sea trout? What size / pattern should they be? I have a feeling I may be fishing too large a fly. Usually a sandeel imitation on a 1 or 2 hook.

Also, what is the best time of year to target them? The bass are all but gone from my usual marks, and I've turned my attention to pike! Would the sea trout be back down from the rivers yet and would they be in good condition?

Hi Mick
I used to fish the Erne estuary on a daily basis for sea trout, and found flies tied on a size 4 long shank hook best. My personal favourite fly was the Gadget, also very easy to tie, I would be happy fishing 2 or 3 gadgets on a cast, often you will see the bow wave as the fish chases after the first fly, keep stripping line really fast and that will often get them to take the next fly on the cast. Never caught any monsters, but did find the faster retrieve got bigger fish, or maybe that was my imagination.
Other flies I'd be very happy to use are the Baltic Special, Tandem Lure, Parson Tom, and the Sandeel, but I've had trout on gaudy flies I've tied myself with lots of blue and silver in them, can't go far wrong with those colours.
Don't now about carlingford, but in the Erne the bigger fish (some to 7 or 8lbs) were mostly caught before June, and from then on it was mostly finnock.
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby Mick the fish » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:23 pm

Gents,

Many thanks for the info! If you're ever in the Carlinford area give me a shout and I'll put on my ''secret'' bass marks!

Just one more question. What is the dressing for the gadget fly?

Thanks,

Mick
Mick the fish

Postby Bradan » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:09 pm

Mick the fish wrote:Gents,

Many thanks for the info! If you're ever in the Carlinford area give me a shout and I'll put on my ''secret'' bass marks!

Just one more question. What is the dressing for the gadget fly?

Thanks,

Mick

Mick
Its a silver body with silver rib, tail of mallard is tied in under the silver tinsel. The back is mallard or pheasant, and the head is peacock herl twisted several times around and tied in with black thread. The silver rib is important to keep the tinsel together after a few sea trout have chewed it!

Check this link for a picture of the fly
[url]http://www.ogmoreriver.com/news/rogansgadget.php[/url]

Might take you up on next year, havent tried fishing for the bass before....

Bradan
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby squalus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:20 am

You could always try a Dunkeld in size 6 - 8 it works not too far away.
squalus
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing