Floating line #9

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Floating line #9

Postby standerus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:31 am

Hi
I'm looking for a distance casting floating fly line.
At the moment I'm somewhere between the Airflo 40+Sniper and Rio Outbound Short
Any ther ideas? Outbound is almost 2x more expensive, I'm not sure if it is worth extra euros?
Currently I fish Airflo 40+ CSW, and it is one of the best suited lines I have, though it sinks to fast for estuary fishing.
Last edited by standerus on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
standerus
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 36 times

Re: Foating line #9

Postby Kgarr » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:10 pm

I've used the '9 weight rio outbound short intermediate' this year, before that I was using a cheaper line. I will never look back, very very very good line, switched to a 'Coastal guideline intermediate' towards the end of the year , this is also a savage line, well worth shelling out twice/thrice the price on a good line imo.
The coastal guideline comes in a 'slow' sinking intermediate and a fast sinking intermediate, I've the slow sinking one and this really suits my estuary fishing needs. hope this helps you :D
Kgarr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby standerus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks a lot
My 40+ is fast inter and it sinks way to fast.
Have you tried coastal with poppers?
standerus
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Kgarr » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:52 pm

never used a popper, I will in the new year though!
Kgarr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 113 times

Re: Floating line #9

Postby standerus » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:47 pm

After a lot of searching on the internet got Rio Outbound Short, in #8 to my Zane #9.
At the end, it weights 21.4 grams, which, I think, is really enough to load #9 rod. If not - I'll still have #8 as a back up :D
standerus
SAI Bait Ball

Postby hurler01 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Gonna get a 9wt intermediate for pike later sometime. I hear they are very good. I started usin a 9 wt 40+ line in di3 for casting close to reefs when out in the kayak. Stupidly the last time I went out on the yak I put on 15lb fluoro as the shop didn't have the 20lb fluoro that I wanted, they sent the 15lb stuff without tellin me, anyways lost a good pike as a result. The 40+ loads and casts well by the way.
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby standerus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:03 am

Try this one in intermediate.
Very good line for pike and sea, plus the price is silly

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalo ... -5035.html
standerus
SAI Bait Ball

Postby hurler01 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 am

I wonder what sort of grain wt it is, the 40+ is fine with small saltwater flies but trying to fling out big pike flies is pretty difficult. A 10 wt line in the 40+ for the pike would have been more favourable. Thanks for the link Stan but I'm gonna follow you're lead and go with the Rio outbound and only use it for pike though.
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby lumpy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:58 am

the airflo sniper 40+ is more suitable for pike flies, shorter head and steeper front taper. make sure to get the appropriate grain weight in the outbound, the are a very over weighted line
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil

For this message the author lumpy has received thanks:
hurler01 (Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:56 am)
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby standerus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:03 pm

hurler01 wrote:I wonder what sort of grain wt it is, the 40+ is fine with small saltwater flies but trying to fling out big pike flies is pretty difficult. A 10 wt line in the 40+ for the pike would have been more favourable. Thanks for the link Stan but I'm gonna follow you're lead and go with the Rio outbound and only use it for pike though.

Haven't used sniper, but few of my friends had and they were not entirely happy with it. I'm not sure why, but as far as I know they are rather good casters, but they claimed that there were some line control issues.
As for the 40+ CSW - it is the best pike line I've ever had, and last few years I dedicated my FF to pike, huchen and SW. This line in #10 carries large flies - on hooks 6/0, around 18cm long effortless. Whats more, after my gear was stollen in Sweden I started to use similar combo with this line in #8 - and again - no problem with really large flies, as long as they are tied from synthetics.
Modern #8 rods are very powerfull, they are capable of carrying large flies.
I use #9 hardy zane, so far the best rod for such use I had, in my opinion better even than the famous sage xi2

For this message the author standerus has received thanks:
hurler01 (Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:56 am)
standerus
SAI Bait Ball

Postby JimH » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:53 pm

As far as I'm aware the 40+ is available as the following

Extreme: approximately a 35-foot head in WF5-9, from floating to Type 7 (Di7) sinking
Expert: approximately a 44-foot head in WF5-9, from floating to Type 7 (Di7) sinking
Sniper: approximately a 35-foot head in WF8-10, from floating to Type 7 (Di7) sinking

I think they are all noted as Extreme distance casting lines which can be confusing when purchasing

The Extreme and the Sniper could effectively be the same line but I haven't seen a profile or grain weight scenario - the expert is a different line altogether. Shoot more with shorter heads, aerialise more line with longer heads - both have their issues

Less false casting with the short head needs an adjustment in your casting style to avoid crash landing, it might get out there but how does it land, risking a spook! The expert requires a little more false casting (risking a spook) but offers better accuracy and presentation - lands better!

I guess it depends on how you fish and cast and how the fish will interpret that!

Most of the 'old' airflo problems and indeed the Rio problems have been ironed out (hinging, tangling, breaking etc) and they have been improved too with min stretch, ridge line etc.

I really like the Pike fly lines from HERE - the inter is density compensated too which is useful - http://www.guideline.no/9SVTFlI56n_d2Z- ... agesize=12
I have also found a bite tippet that I really like so far (at last) HERE - http://www.rioproducts.com/tippet/speci ... te-tippet/

Of course one mans meat is anothers poison........

For this message the author JimH has received thanks:
hurler01 (Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:57 am)
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby standerus » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi Jim
There is also, or used to be but it is avaible in some shops 40+ Cold Salt Water.
The head length is a bit shorter - only 9.1m, running line is blue, intermediate and done in "ridge" technology, which is not the best idea for beach fishing, as grains of sand seem to stick to it easilly. It comes in Intermediate Clear an Di7 only.
I had 40+ expert and... there is no comparision between them. CSW shoots like a bulet, and handles big flies in really good maner.
The head seems to be a bit overwegiht compared to standard 40+.
What is interesting, Cold Salt Water comes also in a "double hand beach line" which is a perfect tool for switch rods. They have a bit longer heads - 10.6 metres and come in the same densities as their SH sibling. Line marked #9-10 weights around 26-27 grams and one #11-12 is around 34 grams, so first suits a modern, fast switch rod in class #7, the second is good for heavy switch rods #10. I used both of those lines - first for beach casting, fishing on large rivers in Poland and fishing for huchen, secnd exclusively for huchen fishing, as it was a really heavy line, capable of carrying flies of almost 25cm length, very large, on huge, 8/0 hooks.

My idea - those 3 lines - cold salt water, are rather designed for american market and fishing for stripers, but, they work as good on our side of the pond.
standerus
SAI Bait Ball

Postby JimH » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:09 pm

My idea - those 3 lines - cold salt water, are rather designed for american market and fishing for stripers, but, they work as good on our side of the pond.

Dead right Stan - I'll have a lot of this stuff including switch rods/lines at my stand @ www.hooked.ie in February

Might see you there!
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing