What reel to buy

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

What reel to buy

Postby fenitbob » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:51 pm

hi all,
what reel would you buy to match a ten foot fly rod (eBay impulse buy). I have been fly fishing a good few times in the river but do not want to use that reel in the sea. also what line would you recommend.
and finally, what kind of price range am i looking at?
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby stylie » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:37 pm

i just use a cheap Danica wide Arbor, they are only about 40 euro and it suits me fine, have had lots of pollack and bass with it. Do however load the backing up with braid, its thinner than the standard so you can get loads on
stylie

Postby Marty Harrison » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:16 pm

Okuma Airframe 7/9 wide arbour, cheap (£25) and made from composite so it wont rust in a saltwater enviroment. Well made with a very smooth drag, great value. I use airflo shooting heads on mine with 20lb gold Stren as the running line that way i dont have to carry sprare spools, I just quickly change the heads to cover diff stuations.

Marty
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby liamdenn » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:03 pm

i use the eco disk and it is grand. I tell ya about the lines. i use the mullarkeys seconds which are about 15 stirling for 3 or 5 , i cant remember. they are perfect and even if you do get the odd dud you r still winning at that price!
liamdenn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby lumpy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:48 pm

if your looking for a good quality reel try one of the enigma matrix. fished florida two years ago and had tarpon to 30 Lbs and snook to 9Lbs on them. cheap reel with a quality drag and good capacity
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby MAC » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:33 am

Use the Eginma Matrix myself and the good thing is that you might find one at a bargin price because they have been replaced by some other reel. Last I looked on [url=http://www.fishtec.co.uk]Fishtec[/url] they were selling them at excellent prices. I use mine for pike fly fishing as well on a 9wt rod. Get yourself a few spools as well. These will be a little more expensive than some of the composite large arbours but are a better reel and will last a long time.

Kev
Last edited by MAC on Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby Viper » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:43 pm

I reckon price range depends on the method by which you land your fish. If you play them from the reel then a good reel is recommended, if not a reel is nothing more than a spool to keep your line tidy so any cheap reel will do.
Viper
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby richard » Tue May 22, 2007 12:38 pm

richard

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing