More flies to try. - Wiggle discs

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

More flies to try. - Wiggle discs

Postby nobuzz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 am

Guys,

I've dug out some flies I tied 2-3 years ago but never got around to trying.

Wiggle discs incorporated into the tie. These give the fly a nice action and are easy enough to cast on a short leader. The disc on the popper gives an action that has to be seen to be believed.

I've tied these on short tubes (Scobby Strings from the toy shop) as I hate binning flies when the hook gets knackered.

Feel free to copy, improve, etc. whatever.
Attachments
White Wig.jpg
White Wig.jpg (47.75 KiB) Viewed 526 times
Daphne.jpg
Daphne.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 526 times
Species List 2012 (Me) - Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Plaice, Codling, pollack, dab, SS Scorpion Fish, Ballan Wrasse, Codling.

Species List 2012 (Daniel) - Not got started yet :-(
nobuzz
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 8 times

Re: More flies to try. - Wiggle discs

Postby eoghanb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:47 am

How do you mount the tubes in the vice or is their a special gadget for it
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Postby yngkmd » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:01 pm

i use those wiggle discs on rubber lure and they do give a great action to it
are they not difficult to cast on a fly rod though, given the air resistance?
2012 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock, Whiting, Colefish (New PB), Shore Rockling, Flounder (New PB), 5 Bearded Rockling (New Species), Dogfish, Pouting, Plaice, Dab, Lesser Sandeel (New Species), Cod (New PB), Long Spine Sea Scorpion, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Goldsinney Wrasse, Butterfish (New Species), Ling (PB), Halibut (New Species), Haddock (New Species), Red Fish (New Species), Wolffish (New Species), Rockcook Wrasse, Shanny, Poorcod, Conger

2011 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock(PB), Lumpfish (New Species), Whiting, Colefish, Codling(PB), Dab, Pouting, Shore Rockling, Conger (PB), Blenny, Corkwing Wrasse, Three Bearded Rockling (new Species), Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Ballan Wrasse, Plaice, LSSS, Poor Cod (new Species that i know of), Sand Smelt (new Species), Herring (new Species)
yngkmd
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby nobuzz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:46 pm

yngkmd wrote:i use those wiggle discs on rubber lure and they do give a great action to it
are they not difficult to cast on a fly rod though, given the air resistance?

They come in two sizes. The smaller ones are easier to cast but don't expect to be putting out a full line. LOL

eoghanb wrote:How do you mount the tubes in the vice or is their a special gadget for it

I catch a thick darning needle in the vice and then jam the tube on to it. Be careful to make sure you don't stretch the tube too much on the needle otherwise the whole tying becomes loose after you take it off the needle.
Species List 2012 (Me) - Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Plaice, Codling, pollack, dab, SS Scorpion Fish, Ballan Wrasse, Codling.

Species List 2012 (Daniel) - Not got started yet :-(
nobuzz
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby eoghanb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Cheers for that
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing