Courtmacsherry

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Courtmacsherry

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:52 pm

Just back from 2 weeks family holiday in the Courtsmacsherry area. Managed to get a bit of fishing done most days, but not always when and where it would have been ideal! However, determined to catch something in the sea for the first time using a fly rod and good old Ireland did not let me down. First time out on Barrys Point and much to my surprise, a tiny pollock hooked itself whilst I was sorting my line out. Carried on fishing for around 2 or 3 hours and ended up with 11 pollock altogether. Nothing very big, 10 to 12 inches, but a nice start. Other days I would typically catch 3 or 4 pollock and interestingly enough, I always seemed to beat the spinning boys.

Had a guided day on Courtmacsherry beach and this was the only wet day and with a strong wind. We (3 fly fishing and 1 plugging) all blanked, except for a single mackerel on a spinner. Can’t blame the guide, it was just one of those days. However, armed with the knowledge gained, went down at sunrise the following days and floated a popper. Every morning had 1 or 2 good follows from fish that made large swirls. Managed to hook one for 2 or 3 seconds and then it was gone. Felt like a bass of about 3 lb plus, but a local said there was a good chance it was a sea trout. Whatever it was, it left a big swirl and it certainly wasn’t a school bass. Great time and well worth getting up early.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:54 pm

Ooops, that was me :oops:
Tim
Tim
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Tim » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:54 pm

Oops, that was me :oops:
Tim
Tim
SAI Bait Ball

Postby blaker » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:45 pm

Great to hear you got on well Tim. Barryus point is a very nice spot and est assured the pollack get a lot bigger.
Who was guiding you in Courtmac, Peter?
blaker
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:00 pm

Hi Blaker

Thanks for your help. Holidays are always a bit of a compromise and I regret never having got as far as Peter's shop- probably a big mistake! At least my sister-in-law went in, so now I'm the proud owner of a Courtmac mug, with fishes on it :D
The guide was from Cork and no names as it wouldn't be fair - there were loads of bait and pluggers trying but it rained and blew all day and the dreaded weed came in, so I don't think we stood a chance. However, the spot we were in was spot on- that is where I went back to the following week - downstream from the schoolhouse. I keep thinking there's a big 'un with my name on it in that estuary.
You are spoilt for choice around that way - there's a cove facing whichever direction you need, all within 15 minutes. Brilliant area for fishing. I'm already plotting a return one day :D

Tim
Tim
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing