complete beginner

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

complete beginner

Postby cd07 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:56 am

Hey lads just wondering if any of you could give me the basic set up advice for swff. I used to do a bit of fresh water ff. years ago but i only fish for bass and sea trout now. so any advice on rods reels and line would be much appreciated!
thanks
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Re: complete beginner

Postby Danny M. » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:39 pm

Danny M.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby Der Baron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm afraid I'm not very experienced at the swff, but this is what I've picked up over the last year. A stripping basket is essential otherwise it becomes very annoying. I only had a few sessions last year, but I've just acquired a 9# 9' rod, used a 7# last year, far too light for the sea. I use a Di3 for off the rocks and deeper water, and a slow intermediate for the surf. Seems to work well, I've been freshwater fly fishing for over 20yrs, and to be honest the transition isn't that hard. Still the same basic principles. It's something I'll be doing a lot of this year, for the few sessions I had last year, left me wanting more. The flies I have tied and shared on here, are based on simple observations and variations of commercial stuff I used last year. Enjoy!
DER BARON
Der Baron
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby cd07 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks for the replies lads im dyin to get out and give it a bash although my casting will be rusty as hell!
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Paulb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:06 am

Not that experienced myself, have tried a few different lines over the last year and I've found my homemade fast sinking shooting head sinker the easiest to cast by far, am currently making up a floater and intermediate shooting head for this season. I am going to save my weight forwards for a bit of mullet fishing where a bit more delicacy may be required, probably still won't catch one though.
Paulb
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing