Switch to full style
Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.
Topic locked

10 weight rod?

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:58 am

hey lads, although i do a fair amount of fly fishing for trout, i want to get into saltwater side of things, i already have a pile of rods that would handle the lighter side of the sport(upto 7-8 aftm) would i need to go heavier? i've been offered a fantastic deal on a scierra bluewater 9 foot 10aftm rod, but i'm just a little concerned is this a bit over kill or would it be the right job for chuckin flies into a westerly on the atlantic? i don't want to let the great price blind my judgement so i said i'd ask the experts. thanks for any comments lads

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:29 pm

I use a Greys 9 weight. Its handy for the all round end of things and you'll handle the bigger fish like bass and pollack without overkilling smaller ones like sea trout

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:26 pm

The 10wt will be the business for Bass and pollock especially if there is a bit of a wind. Your's 7-8wt rods will do you for the rest of the time. Nice rods the scierra as well. 8)

Kev

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:49 pm

cheers lads.......also is it true that you can shatter your rod when fishing with clousers?! i read an article there this mornin and the author said it can happen in a cross wind or with a bad cast, so it was definitely worth getting a rod with a lifetime gaurrantee

10 weight rod?

Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:47 pm

I use a fox #11 weight rod, just because I got a good deal on it. Where it does come int its own it casts weighted clousers very efficiently. Any pollack over a couple of pounds are still great sport.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:06 pm

11wt....WOW. I'm thinking of building myself a 9wt outfit. My 10wt is a bit too tippy. Although when you need to put the brakes on a 2lb Pollock diving for the weeds sometime It feels like it's not heavy enough. :lol:

Kev

Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:44 pm

frodo,

definately go for one with a lifetime guarantee - unconditional is best. most dealers will still charge EUR 30 ish for a handling charge through.

if its a top deal go with the 10wt, for mid summer fishing for schoolies or mullet you can always use your trout stuff - i know of people using 5 and 6wts in the salt on flat days.

mark.
Topic locked