10 weight rod?

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

10 weight rod?

Postby frodo baggins » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:58 am

hey lads, although i do a fair amount of fly fishing for trout, i want to get into saltwater side of things, i already have a pile of rods that would handle the lighter side of the sport(upto 7-8 aftm) would i need to go heavier? i've been offered a fantastic deal on a scierra bluewater 9 foot 10aftm rod, but i'm just a little concerned is this a bit over kill or would it be the right job for chuckin flies into a westerly on the atlantic? i don't want to let the great price blind my judgement so i said i'd ask the experts. thanks for any comments lads
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby blaker » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:29 pm

I use a Greys 9 weight. Its handy for the all round end of things and you'll handle the bigger fish like bass and pollack without overkilling smaller ones like sea trout
blaker
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby MAC » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:26 pm

The 10wt will be the business for Bass and pollock especially if there is a bit of a wind. Your's 7-8wt rods will do you for the rest of the time. Nice rods the scierra as well. 8)

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby frodo baggins » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:49 pm

cheers lads.......also is it true that you can shatter your rod when fishing with clousers?! i read an article there this mornin and the author said it can happen in a cross wind or with a bad cast, so it was definitely worth getting a rod with a lifetime gaurrantee
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

10 weight rod?

Postby squalus » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:47 pm

I use a fox #11 weight rod, just because I got a good deal on it. Where it does come int its own it casts weighted clousers very efficiently. Any pollack over a couple of pounds are still great sport.
squalus
SAI Bait Ball

Postby MAC » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:06 pm

11wt....WOW. I'm thinking of building myself a 9wt outfit. My 10wt is a bit too tippy. Although when you need to put the brakes on a 2lb Pollock diving for the weeds sometime It feels like it's not heavy enough. :lol:

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby guernseybass » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:44 pm

frodo,

definately go for one with a lifetime guarantee - unconditional is best. most dealers will still charge EUR 30 ish for a handling charge through.

if its a top deal go with the 10wt, for mid summer fishing for schoolies or mullet you can always use your trout stuff - i know of people using 5 and 6wts in the salt on flat days.

mark.
guernseybass

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing