recommended landing nets?

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

recommended landing nets?

Postby 10 brownie points » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:36 pm

I have only just finished my 1st weekend saltwater fly-fishing, Self educated (or in other words “on the cheap”), I didn’t particularly go after fish, it was more a case of looking and feeling the difference compared to fresh water fly-fishing.
Now saltwater it has its advantages , no trees to get tangled in and as I was in Fanore on the west coast of Clare I was never going to get caught in the opposite bank.
On the down side there are large waves plus often stronger winds but the biggest trouble for me was the fact that normally I just let the line gather at my feet, but on the rocky shore with all of its mussels, limpets and snarly edges well I don't need to tell you what trouble that causes and so a tray will be purchased.
The other thing that struck me was, one minute I was fishing almost level with the water and 30 yards further on I could be a good few feet above the tide level, is there 1 type of net which is easy to use in all situations as well as being easy to carry.
I have one of the timber trout landing nets, but obviously that isn’t going to be any good to me here. Advise please?
Please note I remain optimistic that at some stage I will actually catch something …
10 brownie points
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: recommended landing nets?

Postby teacher » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:20 pm

I don't use one myself so I can't recommend a particular model. However, I think the rubberised mesh nets are supposed to be better for fish that you're going to release as they don't remove as much slime/mucus/stuff. Worth looking out for.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:17 am

Good luck with your swff, its something that has been on my to do list for quite sometime but I still haven't taken the plunge yet. I'm still concentrating on tempting brownies on the dry fly although I might see if I can tempt a mackerel or two this year on my 6wt, should be interesting.

As for the landing net dilemma is always something that has me a little stumped aswell because I like stay mobile so I don't really want to be hauling a big landing net or drop net along with me and that's fine until you hook into something decent and its even worse when you are on your own. I usually carry a Boga Grips with me and they are great provided you are at the same level as the water or indeed in it but aint going to be much use to you are a few feet above the level of the water. Much like yourself I've been on the look out for a decent folding landing net for a while but I still haven't found one so I'd also be interested to see if anyone has any suggestions.
Dave
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby Eoin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:41 am

i've been after one of those rubber ones for the last few years after seeing them on the tv on an american show. do you know of anybody selling them in ireland?

teacher wrote:I don't use one myself so I can't recommend a particular model. However, I think the rubberised mesh nets are supposed to be better for fish that you're going to release as they don't remove as much slime/mucus/stuff. Worth looking out for.
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby teacher » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi Eoin. Sorry, been away for a while.

No, I haven't found anyone selling them here. I looked in the UK on a few sites but wasn't too sure about the quality of what I found.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing