Casting

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Casting

Postby Never mind the pollocks » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:39 am

I have been practising my casting lately at the nearby canal with a pike fly. This is pretty similar to the size of the Salt flys. My problem is keeping the fly in the air during the back cast. Its weight always bring my line down. Also when doing a roll cast I cannot get the roll to flick the fly out of the water to gain extra distance???? I have no problem with lighter trout flies.
Never mind the pollocks
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby liamdenne » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:59 pm

flies dont have to b the huge ones u c for pike. i have caught all my pike on smaller flies.what i found handy in the beginning was to go tick tock when my rod was in the 12 o clock position before starting the forward part of the cast. the trick with the roll cast is to keep the reel right up beside ur right ear before and during the cast. hope thats some help. very hard to explain on here
liamdenne

Postby Tim » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:49 pm

This site http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/ I've found quite helpful, but then, my skill is not much more than zero :)
Tim
Tim
SAI Bait Ball

Postby squalus » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 pm

What rate rod and line are you trying to throw saltwater flies?
Im using a #10/11 rod and there is no problem getting around 20metres.
Anythimg longer depends on the wind. If you can adopt a double haul technique it will get slightly further
squalus
SAI Bait Ball

Postby liamdenneh » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:07 pm

i would have to say that getting a lesson r two from a qualified casting instructor is the way to go. its what i did and it really got the basics right. even now i can c the difference between ppl who thought themselves and ppl who got lessons when i am out on the water
liamdenneh

Postby frodo baggins » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 am

what weight rod you using Ed?
I can chuck most the sw flies in my box on a seven weight regardless of the size, as long as they aren't weighted. shrimp patterns with lead bodies just collapse at my feet or wrap around my head, and i have to go up to my nine weight. even resoanable sized clousers are handled pretty well on a seven weight. just how big/heavy a fly are you throwing?
as liamdenneh said the flies don't have to be huge, most of my fish(not that i've caught countless!) have been caught on suprisingly small, and sparse patterns.

Cheers,
Patrick
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

Postby EoinMag » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:52 pm

I've just bought a 9 setup for sea and pike and haven't used it yet, but I was told to avoid the problem of the fly not lifting and the line being dragged down, shorten your leader. I was told no longer than about 18-24 inches.
EoinMag
SAI Sea Dog!

NMTPollacks casting

Postby JimH » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:30 pm

Im always aware that a forum like this does not allow all the communication issues neccessary to evaluate someones casting comments. Nevertheless - take on board what Liam has said and get some tuition if possible.

Regarding your initial comments in that the fly is dropping on your backcast would suggest to me that your backcast is in fact the problem, does it have energy and are you forming a nice loop? The backcast is as equally if not more important than your forward cast - ideally one should be a mirror of the other (in a perfect world) of course!

If you are using a #9 line and matching rod you can cast quite big flies but i would try and concentrate on your casting technique rather than trying to force distance at this time which in fact leads to more errors and frustration.

PM me if you need more help

Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby SeanP » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:58 pm

On the backcast no further back that 1 o'clock position.
Sean,
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing