Switch to full style
Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.
Topic locked

the best fly rod

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:48 pm

i fancy trying some proper swiff this year, what the best weight of fly rod to use for a good scrap..............

Re: the best fly rod

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Dan,

Jim Hendrick is probably the best guy to reply to you on this but heres my opinion anyways. Your question could be a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. It seems that you could use anything from a 7wt up to 10 wt for swff but it depends on species (e.g. mullet, bass, pollock) conditions, etc. A 9wt would be better for big flies and a big headwind than a 7wt. A 7wt would give more of a fight but is suitable for smaller flies and less wind. An even lighter rod might be used for stalking mullet! Another factor in rod choice would be the action of the rod in terms of casting etc. If I was buying a new outfit, which I am around this time, I would go for a 9ft 9wt but I am choosing this for bass fishing mainly.

sk

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:15 pm

I agree SK. I used to throw a 9ft 10wt and found it a bit too meaty. For most saltwater work I thing a 9ft 9wt would give you best results. If fishing for mullet is calm water a 7wt would be best. Luckly I have a few rods.. 8) Pollock and Bass, 9ft 9wt and you'll be fine.

Kev

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:22 pm

i'd be of the same mindset. for bass pollack a 9wt is more than adequate, ive been using my 8wt for the past 2 years and find it can handle everything bar 6inch plus flies. as regards mullet mac, a 7wt is still overkill, remember its basically dryfly fishing for trout only in the sea, i generally use my 5wt but have had numerous fish to 4lb on the 4wt..

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:34 pm

I have taken a 12lb salmon on a 7wt.

I had a Scierra SST+ which was the greatest rod in the world, until I broke the tip and tried to get it replaced. For some reason, rod was outta production.

The tackle shop replaced it with a 6-7wt Scierra CTC. Good rod, but nowhere near as tough as SST+.

My next fly rod will be a 6-7wt saltwater rod. 10, 9's and 8's are too heavy, although I wouldn't recommend anything else to a relative beginner.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi lads,

Is there a big difference, between an 8 and 9wt rod. I did want to buy a Scierra 8wt, but it was
a bit on the pricey side at €300.00 and being marked with 7 - 8wt was'nt to sure of its actual
wt No. The rod I bought after a long hard dision was a Vision GT 4. 9wt. (€200.00 )

PS. I told the guy in the shop that I might do some Piking in the winter - hense the GT 4

Joe.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:53 pm

Wouldn't be a huge difference. None that you will notice.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:03 pm

between a 7-8wt and a 9wt there would be. depending on the manufacture there could be 2 line wts. alot of 7-8wts are over gunned with an 8wt line, suiting a 7 much more.

p.s hav the gt4 myself and love it.. uve a very nice rod there

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:53 pm

The gt4 9wt is a very nice rod. After much deliberating and almost going for a redington CPX 9ft 9wt with a lamson guru reel I have changed my mind and gone for a hardy zane 9ft 9wt rod and matching reel. Its ordered now so I can;t change me mind.

sk

PS - if yer reading this Jim H don;t tell me anything negative about it :D

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:10 pm

SK

Avoiding the lamson was a great idea - dont know anything 'bout the Hardy(s) regards SW fishing, but we all know them as a highly respected FW brand and rave reviews for the ZANE range.

Enjoying them is the main thing!

'Christen' them soon guy.....'

bendy rods

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:42 pm

cheers lads :D :D :D :D

Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:00 am

Depends if your looking for a slow or a fast action rod, slow action being more forgiving but not as precise, the rule being the lighter the weight the delicate you can be on your presentation of the fly, but going for pollock 8/9 rod would be fine and a 6/7 rod for mullet, but it all depends what your looking to target.
Topic locked