Clothing for wading the surf ?

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Clothing for wading the surf ?

Postby flynnboy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi

I am just contemplating trying some SWFF and I am currently looking for all advice on tackle and stuff. I've already had some good advice from Ant from this forum.

Can anyone advise on clothing for wading on the beach? I am now beginning to think that with the corrisveness of salt even my Simms stockingfoot waders and felt soled wading boots won't be any good.... any opinions ?

Thanks
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 12 times

Re: Clothing for wading the surf ?

Postby lumpy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:51 pm

regards the simms stocking foots, it depends on the specific model. the cheaper grade simms wont hold up as well in the surf, apparently the salt water can attack th waterproofing on the wader, takes along time though and with a little care, i'e washing with fresh water after each trip and hang drying you should be fine, the wading boots should be ok , again just wash off with fresh at the and of each trip.one other thing which can be useful is a pair of thin neoprene stockings to go over the stocking feet,the small build up of sand in the boot can become an abrasive and damage the neoprene in the waders
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby JimH » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:03 pm

Regarding your gear – a big question

Felt soled wading boots are fine for saltwater use. If you are fishing over mud with only felt soles beware of the skating effect they can create. It might be best to pop in some cleats in the heel just to create a little more grip if you do encounter mud. Inevitably you will venture into estuaries as you realise the potential of the fishing… watch out for the ZIPS in your jackets - everyone forgets them until the next time and they are salted solid

The Simms wader is also fine for saltwater use – I use G4’s some of the time. However because it can be a harsher environment i.e. clambering over rocks etc an expensive piece of gear like this might not be the best thing to slip in, maybe a cheaper pair. Rinsing them and your boots with a garden hose will remove the salt from them after each use.

A fly fishing reel for use in saltwater in Ireland doesn’t need to be a huge investment. You do not need a very powerful drag for any of our species, but a smooth control can be necessary when fishing mullet. Carbon composites are a good choice if you are not looking for aesthetics – Loop Evotec CLW, Okuma Airframe, Danica are all available for under 90.00 euros and have proven to last in saltwater with a minimum of care, spools are also very inexpensive.

At the top end if you intend to destination fish as well as fish in Ireland then you might consider Abel, Galvan, Tibor, Nautilus, and Danielsson.

The rod decision is the one where you need to spend some time and most of your investment. Depending on your target species different types may apply – Redington CPX, Scott, Bloke, Sage xi2, the Redington is superb and wont break the bank. If beach fishing is your game then maybe a 12’-0” DH from Thomas and Thomas or a Sage TCR will do the trick. It depends on your application of course

I have also fished and cast with Lefty Krehs Ticrx rods during 2008

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/ticrx.html

and for the price and guarantee they are truly hard to beat – you might be interested in the DH option on the #7/8 outfit.

Lines – Scientific anglers, Rio, and Teeny plus build a few custom shooting heads attached to an inter running line –

Leaders – Frog hair deep blue, Rio fluorflex + and Varivas all very good.

DON’T FORGET YOUR LINE TRAY..!
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby flynnboy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks a million for all of the advice.

I'm relieved to know that at least my clothing will be okay - good idea about the socks.

It looks like I will definitely have to buy a new reel but I'd rather not have to buy a new rod as I'm not loaded :(

The rods I have are all double handers:

Oracle IV 4.5 mtrs #10/11 (which I really like)
Hardy 15' #10
B & W Powerlite Speycaster 13' #8/10

Would any of these do, and do I need a line tray - never used one?

Thanks again
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby anthony2carr » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:26 pm

If I was getting a new rod I would be going for the 6 weight in the following

http://www.camsigler.com/Rods.htm

Spoke to Cam Jr., he told me that the only rod they ever had broken was by a marlin because the line was wrapped around the tip.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby JimH » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 am

FB

If you are specifically targeting big fish in surf conditions with #10 shooting heads and DH rods maybe these rods are fine - although spey casting in surf conditions I can only imagine as been next to impossible or at least very difficult.

A 1.75g fish on a 15'-0"#10 DH with a teeny T400 is not the greatest of experiences -for general SWFF choose a 9'-0" or 9'-6" #8 or #9 - provided your fly is designed and built correctly you can still cast BIG ones to bigger fish > 7" and yet still enjoy the subtlety of the lighter #8 with smaller deceivers and clousers - even the #9 sometimes feels like to much.

There are several good rods in Ireland for SWFF at the 200.00 to 250.00 range
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby flynnboy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks JimH.

Okay. I also have two single handed rods:

A 9' #10 Cam Tigler (Hand built American)
9' #7/8 Shakespeare Fly

Either of these any good do you think ?

Why will the double handed rods not give me a greater casting distance than these smaller single handed ?

I think I am getting there and have a much better understanding of what is required, it is now just the rod. Thank you all for your kind advice.
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby JimH » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:33 am

Hi again Fb

The CT shoud prove excellent for you for the bigger fly range or in tougher conditions and the Shakespeare will provide you with a good option for 'day to day' fishing with normal sized flies for pollack, bass, seatrout, mullet etc - it looks like you have a good set up.

Regarding casting distance dont let this become a big objective - as you probably well know - mullet, bass, and seatrout can be caught at close range - better to make good casts to closer fish rather than poor presentations at distance.

If you can - learn to double haul and get to an instructor to learn techniques for wind, backward casting, casting bigger flies, and increasing your line speed and distance.

And you will need a line tray!
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby flynnboy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:41 am

Hi again JimH

That's excellent :D It looks like I'm getting there.

I am pleased you mentioned the CT as it was a gift from an American friend some years ago and I've never had reason to use it, never heard of Cam Tigler personally but I do remember my friend mentioning surf fly fishing at some point so maybe that's what these rods are designed for ?

Okay, next part of the mission is to find a reel and line, I'll have to look back over the posts to see what line was recommended.

Thanks again

Cheers guys
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby flynnboy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:51 am

I just noticed anthony2carr gave a link to Cam Sigler in a post above..... It looks like I've scored there as my God indeed it is a Saltwater Fly Rod :D Maybe this was meant to be 8)

I was given that rod as a gift about 6 years ago and it's either sat in its case or on the wall.
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby flynnboy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:58 am

JimH is that a shooting head line you are recommending for the CT 9' I have ?
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby JimH » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:10 pm

FB
Yes indeed the CS will do the tough end of the job no probs there. Loaded with a RIO outbound integrated SH you can probably cast a sheepdog 30 metres (with two false casts!)

Can you tell me your target species and the type of location you intend to fish?
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby flynnboy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:30 pm

JimH

Target species.... well, whatever fancies taking my fly :lol: But honestly, I would be very happy looking for sea trout. There is a lovely sandy shallow beach in the Bay not too far from me here on the west coast of Donegal and the Eany Water runs into it (salmon and sea trout) and so there should be some ST in the Bay. Maybe Sea Bass also ? I am new to the surf and so I'm really not sure where species other than Salmon and Seat Trout would be normally located.

All of the other marks I am thinking of are very similar i.e. nice shallow sandy beaches.

Appreciate your help very much JimH
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby anthony2carr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Let me know how you get on with the CS.

Looks like a great rod.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby anthony2carr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:00 pm

I had a chat to Cam sigler about the possibility of targetting Bluefin on the fly from Donegal.

I explained the size of fish and all.

He said that fish to 100kg were achievable. The rods were very tough, only one was ever returned (line wrapped round tip during a marlin fight). He even gave me tips on how to do it.

'Once the fish stops loosen the drag and keep him running.Bluefin can get rid of lactic acid quicker than any other fish I know.'

A little ambitious to target some of the fish off Donegal. But at least I know the small ones are doable.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby flynnboy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi Anthony, yeah, it looks like I struck lucky there. I should have noticed your link earlier. In fact it was only after JimH was saying that my DH rods would not be that good I remembered I had these two SH rods. It was only upon investigation that I found the CS name which meant nothing to me until I looked back on the thread and saw your link to them.

It seems that I was right in remembering the friend that gave it to me having mentioned something about him having had a go at SWFF.

Once I find a decent reel and line, get ready and give it a whirl, I'll no doubt report back. I noticed you're in Donegal also, have you tried any SWFF for Sea Trout roundabout, know anything about Inver bay ?

Thanks for your help
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby anthony2carr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:15 pm

I am from Glenties.

I would be a brother in law of one of the Kennedys in Inver.

Haven't tried fishing inver bay.

I have never caught any sea-trout in the salt.I catch all of mine from the owenea.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby flynnboy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:22 pm

So what do you Fly fish for in the sea Anthony ?
flynnboy
flynnboy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby JimH » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:39 pm

FB

I dont have the specific local knowledge thats often needed to make good comments about your sea trout fishing prospects - regarding your equipment the CS is probably a bit of overkill for the seatrout. In the sea try some classic flies like the Falkus sunken lure or even the gadget, take a look here http://www.swflies.fotopic.net/c1392778.html to see some classic danish patterns that work here too.

- it might be no harm to talk to Markus Muller from the NW fisheries board.

There are Bass up there but I'm afraid theres a target on my back :-)

if you need any help dont hesitate to PM
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby anthony2carr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:20 pm

flynnboy wrote:So what do you Fly fish for in the sea Anthony ?

Mostly pollock. I've caught pollock, wrasse, gurnard,Mullet,Whiting and mackeral on the fly.

Wrasse and pollock can be real sport on a 9wt-10wt(Depending on the size).

I tend to use my CTC 6-7wt for Mullet, small pollock and mack.
(For these I use small flies #12-18 ). A Pollock of about 1/2lb hits you with full force on a 6wt. The CTC is not a true saltwater rod, but i've had no problems with it.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Next

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing