Switch to full style
Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.
Topic locked

mullet are back!!

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:02 pm

had a spin around the estuarys down this way and seems the mullet are gathering up again. tried one of them over hw and dropped 2, one went to ground in the weed and the other snapped the 3lb tippet (my fault though)

find that at this time of the year they become quite lethargic so patients is called for. the particular shoal i found had to be fed for about 1 1/2 hours with bread before i even got them to take the natural. for about 45 mins just before hw the startd takin off the surface in a fairly cautious manner, although they consistantly refused my offer. finally when i cahnged to a subsurface bread fly i had the 2 hook ups, but unfortunately loosing both. if you have the patients and some bread flies they can provide great fishing to anotherwise dour period of the year.at this time of the year down this way ive found them to shoal up in the estuarine bays, especially on the bigger spring tides where they can become a very viable target

Re: mullet are back!!

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:11 pm

fair play to you......
I would love to catch a mullet on the fly must try harder this year...
Your bread fly.. any chance of a pic??

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:10 pm

ya there good fun alrite, had one today of about 2lbs, good fun on the 6wt

bread fly is here /viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15907

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:45 pm

oh ya.....ta...... :oops:

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:48 pm

no bother bud, toying with a new one at the moment, same principal but a slight alteration. will post it when ive had a few sessions using it

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:51 pm

:shock:

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:30 pm

*Checks date on post

*Rubs eyes. Checks date again.

Wow thats kinda Early I'll try for these again.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:52 pm

ya theres a good few about now. went out this morn and had 7 more, 3 x 2lbs, 3x 3lbs and one just over 4, probably missed another 20 takes

Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:11 pm

think i`ll move to Cork :wink:
we`ve atleast 2 months before we`ll get any decent numbers up here :cry:

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:46 pm

ya thats depressing davy.hav a few marks which have a good head of fish showing. some very good fish around as well, seen a few which looked about the 8lb mark but very wary..hopefully will have another go after work tomorro

Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Davy Murdoch wrote:think i`ll move to Cork :wink:

Happy days :lol:

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:51 pm

saw them yesterday in the entrance to the estuary on Derrynane beach must have a look for them around tralee

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:46 pm

All excited........ Sat morn up early fer a go........(well a look any rate)......
:shock:

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:02 pm

good to hear that they are showin, hopefully a month or two before they move up here.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:08 pm

lumpy wrote:ya theres a good few about now. went out this morn and had 7 more, 3 x 2lbs, 3x 3lbs and one just over 4, probably missed another 20 takes

I hate you :cry:
:wink:
Topic locked