Switch to full style
Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.
Topic locked

sharks on the fly

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:39 pm

about a year ago i was told of a 150 pound mako shark on the fly, didnt believe. so is it possible :?: :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by dan on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: sharks on the fly

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 pm

saw a clip once, where thet put bait on the end of a fly line and landed a lemon shark.....hardly catching it on the "fly"..........

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:47 pm

i am not sure if it was caught like that could have been though

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:47 pm

google "lemon shark on the fly igfa record".........

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:50 pm

was much bigger than that, was released but they thought it was around the 600lb mark

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php ... 2061109384

sharks are regurly caught on fly in the states and oz. just a case of tease and switching for them

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:00 pm

nice fish, sure that would fite well.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:05 pm

"At the IGFA headquarters after preliminary line testing and documentation review, Ms. Reynolds said the 12 lb tippet over tested at 13 lbs so Arostegui’s fish was entered in the 16 lb tippet line class. "

WHO KNEW???? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:08 pm

God....... i wonder....... bull huss on a clouser???
:shock: :idea: :shock: :idea: :roll:

Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:07 pm

blues would be worth a go if you could get a skipper who would be willing to put in the hours and weather/water clarity in which you could specifically target individual sharks. the techniques for targeting them are relatively straight forward. get an individual shark feeding in the chum line within 40-50 feet of the boat (easier said than done). rig up a heavy spinning rod wit a mack flapper on a big clip swivel(no hook). the flapper is cast infront of the shark and the shark is teased towards the boat. when it comes within casting and targets the bait, the fly angler begins his cast, when he is ready to shoot the cast at the shark the mack is pulled away from the shark and the fly is cast to replace it. fly is then stripped back hopefully getting a responce from said shark

as i said, simple :lol: ... now wheres my 14 wt

saying this it has been done in irish waters. there were 2 of the taken off the west coast, i think off the boat Rossguill although i may be wrong. the pics were in the book Saltwater Flyfishing: Britain and Northern Europe

Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:46 pm

You can also chunk them.

Throw out small pieces of mack when the shark is close to boat and chuck a fly at them the same size as the chunks.

Would love to do it :D

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:47 pm

go here

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/sharks/

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:48 pm

definitely worth a go

Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:08 pm

My understanding is that the method described by lumpy has been tried sucessfully in ireland on blues already.Must be some fight!

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:14 pm

8) 8) 8) 8)
Topic locked