Switch to full style
Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.
Topic locked

SWFF Donegal

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:18 am

Result: A cold and bugger all else.

Fished for about 2 hours. Was nice to hold the fly rod again after 2.5 months, but I should have stayed in bed.

Year before last I couldn't stop catching whiting from this mark, big ones. Last year, despite trying it most weekends I didn't get any.I have only tried it once this year but it looks to be the same story!!

When I did catch them, the water was very clear and I was fit to target each fish. Maybe that's the problem. I'm sure they are in the location. Just not coming close enough to within SWFF range. Any ideas????

Re: SWFF Donegal

Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:30 pm

you could try a sinking/intermediate line(if you're not already using one), a change in fly size and a very slow retreive. i find a slow retreive can give the fish more time to see the fly, little jerks, just a centemeter at a time. small salmon doubles with jungle cock can work sometimes. there are less feathers and hair to get past and it has certainly helped me catch more fish! but of course every situation is different,
best
c

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:12 pm

Cheers for the reply, but I have tried it all.

The water is clear enough for me to see any fish swirls. Especially silver whiting, but they are just not there anymore.

I think I need to chum the waters to bring them in.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:01 pm

anthony2carr wrote:Result: A cold and bugger all else.

Fished for about 2 hours. Was nice to hold the fly rod again after 2.5 months, but I should have stayed in bed.

Year before last I couldn't stop catching whiting from this mark, big ones. Last year, despite trying it most weekends I didn't get any.I have only tried it once this year but it looks to be the same story!!

When I did catch them, the water was very clear and I was fit to target each fish. Maybe that's the problem. I'm sure they are in the location. Just not coming close enough to within SWFF range. Any ideas????

when i fish around millisle (co down) i get most whiting when the water is cloudy, 2day had 2 water is very coloured.
Topic locked