Switch to full style
Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.
Topic locked

Whiting on the fly

Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:26 pm

The piers are full of whiting. Anyone any ideas on getting them on the fly?

Re: Whiting on the fly

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:46 pm

the only thing i could think of is using a floating line with a strike indacator i use it for wrass in summer and its great sport :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:31 pm

I love fishing for whiting on the fly.

I use a shrimp fly for them. They don't take the big flies that we use for pollock.

A constant fairly slow retrieve. The wont move if the fly is more than 3ft above their heads.

Great fun on a 6wt.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Got a picture of the fly?

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:52 pm

No.

But I tied it myself using a golden pheasant red breast feather for the tail and the wing.added a little flash on the tail as well. Any salmon shrimp fly would do the job.

I have fished for them in the clear waters of portnoo, so I could see their reactions for each fly.That one worked the best.
Also, you need to take the fly very close to the pier. One some occassions I had 4 following the fly and not taking. But with the right speed of retrieve I got one on every cast.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:27 am

Sounds good. Hope to get out tomorrow night.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:49 pm

i once got a couple on portaferry peir on the fly just wee but good sport.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:21 am

Any luck with this?

I fished for them two years ago. They were in very close to a small pier in portnoo.Big ones 1lb+.

Last year they were missing.Hopefully they are back this year, but I'm not sure when i'm going to get up to fish for them.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:09 pm

No luck so far this week. Weather too wild to fly around my way. Flies are tied. Hopefully next week. They are certainly about. The son had a good few last night on bait.
Topic locked