Switch to full style
Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.
Topic locked

poppers

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:00 am

just wanted to ask if other users had used these popper styled lures,
any success with them ,

regards steve.

Re: poppers

Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:33 pm

Tried them, but had no success.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:52 am

think you would do better with sammys/sliders, it the sea is calm, poppers are a bit of a hit n miss, although they are quite good if the sea is choppy, the bigger the waves the bigger the popper, if you do rise a fish and miss it rest the spot for 10/15 mins. before trying there again, theres a good chance it will strike again if it misses again just leave the lure dead on the surface for a few secs. before retreveing.
This fish rose 4 times before taking the lure dead on the surface.
Attachments
art2 7.25lb..jpg
art2 7.25lb..jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 903 times

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:58 am

I assume you're talking about flies, rather than lures??

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:01 pm

Tried them as well didnt have any success on them either. Supposedly a gurgler fly is meant to be very good at first light for pollack. Not for me though. :)

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:10 pm

i tend to use a slider for pollack rother than a gurgler, find it much more effective. also a light silver sandeel with a small boyant head fishes very well for pollack. fishes just in the surface film and drives them crazy when chasing small baitfish this time of the year.

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:51 am

yes guys , the fly-type, will give them a go, see how i get on,

regards steve.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:42 pm

Have you got a picture of the sandeel type Neil?

Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:43 pm

The water temperature is not very high in this country. For this reason fish do not take as regular on the surface here as they do in other (warmer) countries.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:28 pm

anthony2carr wrote:The water temperature is not very high in this country. For this reason fish do not take as regular on the surface here as they do in other (warmer) countries.

That's true, but it's warm enough to catch bass quite easily on the surface from around June until October on the East coast and probably slightly later in the season on the South coast. As you said, at the ends of the season the water's too cold.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 pm

ive had pollack take surface lures up to the end of november without any hesitation, especially on warm settled days, a buddy of mine had a 5lb bass on a popper in the second week of janurary so i guess they will take them when interested..

sorry dave no pic at the moment i'm afraid.i'l try post one tomorro
Topic locked