Switch to full style
Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.
Topic locked

doggies on the fly

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:05 pm

was just wondering would it be cheating to use a tiny sliver of squid on a fly to hook a doggie or would the swff god strike me down with a bolt of lightning :? have had one on a utralight italian tele beach rod and it put up a good scrap :?:if it worked i might try it for smoothies to :D

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:37 pm

Its not really fly fishing but you could get away with it. I read somewhere that a guy soaked his flies in fish oils and other smelly stuff and got doggies on them.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:29 pm

No way. That's against fly fishing regulations :evil:

Kidding :D

I don't understand why scenting and even using baits is not permitted by IGFA when FF. Their definition of a fly is an unscented lure that is cast using a fly line and not under it's own weight.

Catching fishing on a fly rod is great fun, so why restrict yourself to a few species.Alot of SW species feed by scent.

I fished a pier last year, where I could drop my fly line straight down into deep water. I dropped a fly(With mackeral strip) straight down and slowly retrieved using the reel. Gave me a chance to fight a 6lb pollock on the fly reel. It's great to hear your reel scream as the fish dives for the bottom.

Re: doggies on the fly

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:21 pm

maybe mash up a squid or 2 and add water. dip the fly in it to add a bit of flavour. i think doggies like a bit of scent to holme in on.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:36 pm

Even better again. Use the bekley gulp small squid. Casts easily and I can vouch that it attracts the crabs at least.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:21 pm

true 8) 8)

Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:33 pm

As they say Roger, it's not really fly fishing, but that doesn't seem to bother the very dedicated mullet fly fishermen. Go for it and let us know if by reducing your kit to fly fishing tackle that the humble doggie at last, stops fighting like a plastic bag.

Kev

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:49 pm

my idea works for pollack on the fly. although i havnt caught on it but seen other catch on it.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Ive had Dogtooth Tuna on the fly , does that count ?? :D

Actually come to think of it I have had a dogfish on fly. A few years ago I was fishing my town beach at night. I snagged a big ball of weed and muck. In the middle of the tangled mass was a small dogfish lip hooked and looking rather worse for wear !! I let him go and called it a day .
Topic locked