Switch to full style
Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.
Topic locked

sea fly rod and reel

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:05 am

my local tackle shop has started its sale recently so ill take the ball on the hop and invest in a half decent set up. i don't mind spending the money as long as its good quality.

so basically I'm looking for type, make lenght etc. of rod and same for the reel and other accessories like line and flies etc. ill hopefully targeting bass pollack mullet well anything that will take a fly in the sea.
but the emphasis on which fly for which species.
any info will be grateful

regards

brianbru

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:50 am

Hey Brian,

Have you fly fished before?...
Given that you would like to fish for all the species, I would recommend an 8 weight rod. The Greys Greyflex is great value for Money and there is a fly rod out there for every budget. As you get better at casting you could move to a 9 weight rod. This will give you a little extra weight when trying to cast larger flies into the wind.

As for Flies, Check out the fly database that Lumpy has put together. Lots of good stuff there...

Kevin

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Not sure what make's you should get there are a load of good makes Greys Grxi 9ft 8/9 weight rod, Scierra Bluewater 9ft 8/9 Ive got a Daiwa wilderness rod 9ft6 8/9 not too expensive Shakespeare Atlantis is a very good rod and not too expensive. An 8/9 weight rod would cover you for practically every stiuation in Ireland. Not to sure about the reel's, I started off with an Okuma advantage reel which is pretty cheap and is pretty robust its got disc drag and its easy to get spare spool's for it. Recently upgraded to a Vosseler DC4 which is very nice reel a really good drag as well. A reel that would hold an 8/9 weight line is what you want. Line wise you would need an intermediate 8/9 and a sinking line 8/9 or you could get a multi-tip which has a floating, intermediate and sinking tip's not sure about makes I just got some cheap lines so it doesnt matter if it gets cut up on the rocks.

Flys you would need is clousers, decievers, poppers, gurglers and some general baitfish patterns, have a look in the saltwater fly database. Those would take bass and pollack. Mullet flys im not sure about never got one, seaweed maggot flys and maybe some shrimp patterns? :?

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:59 pm

thanks lads for the lists of rods & reels etc.

Kevin i have only fly fished a handful of times never in the sea though i know a good few spots that would be ideal and i also have a boat that i could try for the likes of pollack and mackerel.
i like greys and diawa so ill have a look at both

thanks

brianbru

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:23 pm

hi brian, what kind of budget are you looking at.i would agree with mac, get a nice 8wt and it will cover all situations you mentioned above. match it with a relatively cheap 8wt reel (okuma airstream is more than sufficient).. more expensive reels are a luxury, save your money here and buy a quality floating, or sinktip saltwater line (this will pay dividends in terms of casting) add some spools of 4, 8 and 15lb flourocarbon or mono tippet and a handful of flies you should be well set to begin..like everything you can add as you improve.

one major piece of advice is if you can try get a casting lesson or 2 with a qualified instructor. you will improve your casting and hopefully catches 10 fold

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:09 pm

thanks lumpy ye ill probably go for the greys like i said i dont mind spending the few bob on a decent rod .
one of the lads in my local tackle shop said he will give me a bit of tuition
so on that end im sorted

thanks again lads

regards

brianbru

sea fly rod and reel

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:46 pm

don't fly fish very ofen in the sea, but when i do its a 8/9 weight rod, and usely a weight forward line so i can get that extra distance( sinking line ) but one day last summer off the rocks at lennan bay i used a 15 foot double handled salmon rod for a bit of crack and it was great for the mac: and the fight from the pollack on it was just magic 8)
Topic locked