Anyone out there???

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Anyone out there???

Postby dave armstrong » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:27 am

has everyone given up posting here?? anyone trying for anything in the sea or waiting till march? :cry: :wink: :cry:
dave armstrong
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Tanglerat » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:39 am

Any time i had a chance, the weather was lousy - high wind, big swells. Just waiting for a chance to try a new mark I've found.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby lumpy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:08 am

i generally wait until mid march for the weather to settle and water to cler abit...extremely coloured down here at the moment
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby winter36 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:46 am

im hoping to go out in my boat starting again next week..just had the outboards serviced, so looking forward to it..whether i catch or not does not really matter at moment, im just looking forward to getting on the water again.
we have a few die hard guys here in Carrickfergus, plenty of bait fishing though, i was busy selling plenty of blueys on friday and saturday just past, so plenty still looking for tight lines even in this weather.

i did notice man of the guys had switched to piking, though they were still using their salt water flies for this and apparently having quite good results. some of our salt flies have the lumi glo dalite stripe on them and as far as im aware good for dull water.

not many taking up the salt fly though.
winter36

Postby deno » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:47 pm

Just like yourself Dave I have been trying for pike on fly but have giving the fly fishing around Dublin a miss as the water is literally like mud in terms of suspended sediment. I'm looking to increase the pike fly fishing action over the next two-three months as the larger fish move into the shallows to spawn. And with any luck I will will break my personal best of 3lbs on a fly rod :roll: Fingers crossed. Although I have only started fishing for pike with fly this season and the fish I have caught have been small it is still very enjoyable and jack pike really do hit the fly hard! If anybody is thinking about it you should pop over to the "pike" fishing section of the forum and ask a few questions. It could really do with an increase in activity!

[url=http://www.pike-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/]Pike Angling Ireland[/url]

Denis
"Fishing is a jerk at the of a line, waiting for another jerk".
deno
SAI Bait Ball

Postby dave armstrong » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Glad there is still a few glancing through the forum!!!
Any advice on early season tactics? Thinking about trying a honey shrinp in my local river estuary for quite sizeable flounders known to lurk there..
dave armstrong
SAI Bait Ball

Postby jack01986 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:41 am

Havent touched a fly rod since before christmas, just waiting for some better weather and water to fish in.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing