Switch to full style
Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.
Topic locked

Saltwater Flyfishing on the Gweebarra Co.Donegal

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:16 pm

Best time: last hour before low and up to 2 hours on the in tide, the esturay empties out leaving a small channel about 80 feet wide you can fish this with various fly for sea trout but it is deadly sport if there is mackel about. Tip no need to step into the water because there is a strong current but the fish are quite close, I have caught several at rod lenght .

sea trout

Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:12 pm

did you catch/see any sea trout on the gweebarra. I drove over it last summer (large concrete bridge) and had a look over the side.
Was advised by locals to go to docharry about 5 miles up the river. In the village theres a perfect pool where i saw a setrout jump (1lbish).
dident catch any but a few browns came to my fly and turned away.

would like to give a go again.

Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:30 pm

hey lads,
there is a chap called judd ruane who takes ppl out swff for sea trout in the moy estuary. he reckons he gets them most days. it might b of interest
Liam

gweebarra

Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:38 pm

Yes I saw loads of fish in the water big and small but only able to catch sea trout and mackeral the Salmon don't take to well in the saltwater yes there is a pool upriver which is the main killing ground from salmon but for a care free fising on low tide especially during low rain in the summer the fish gather in the esturary.

Re: gweebarra

Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:54 am

Gerard wrote:Yes I saw loads of fish in the water big and small but only able to catch sea trout and mackeral the Salmon don't take to well in the saltwater yes there is a pool upriver which is the main killing ground from salmon but for a care free fising on low tide especially during low rain in the summer the fish gather in the esturary.

with regards to salmon on the fly in the sea - here is an interesting read ..
its part of a fly fishing for salmon in the salt dvd thats just been released. :wink:
[url]http://ukswff.proboards26.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1100463799[/url]

james
Topic locked