Rawl plug flies

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Rawl plug flies

Postby JimH » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:34 pm

this gave me a kick
Attachments
IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby deno » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:34 pm

It might have given you a kick but I'm going to have to give it a go. Do you think that they would work? I have some yellow rawl plugs that are crying out to be made into flies and would be perfect for the job, I might add in a little white chartreuse for the tail. I wonder what other sort of hard ware could be used in the creation of flies? The mind boggles!
deno
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby deno » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:02 pm

I must have far too much time on my hands. I will bring this half a rawl plug contraption down to Killiney tomorrow and see how it fairs!
Attachments
DSCF0087.JPG
DSCF0087.JPG (64.08 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
deno
SAI Bait Ball

RP flies

Postby JimH » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:21 am

D

looks great to me and good luck - what a week ahead too

The inventor of the rawl plug fly was in Wexford at (SEAi) during September. We fished with the RP flies and caught pollack and on the river with big Rp's we caught Pike. I have caught bass and garfish since - just goes to show really!

I think its interesting as the RP's make counter eddies along the body and with long soft material there is a big plus as the material moves 'enticingly'.

Will try and get his dressing menu and post it here - for fun more than anything.
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby deno » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:55 pm

Fabulous morning below Sorrento terrace. The water was just a touch off gin clear, the tide was half full and rising but alas the fish were not in residence. I think it might have been a little on the bright side for the pollack I was after. Plenty of very small fish in the shallows but nothing large enough to tackle a fly. I hooked one fish with a different rawlplug fly (see picture below) but the hook pulled before it was landed. Both flies moved well in the water until I smashed the rawlplug on the blue and white one to piece by whipping it off a rock (not as robust as I though). The large gray rawlplug fly worked very well and had a realistic up and down action. It is also forward weighted so it dives very convincingly. If I was to change anything I would add move white buck tail and chartreuse to make the head part not look so big.
Attachments
DSCF0091.JPG
DSCF0091.JPG (116.2 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
deno
SAI Bait Ball

RP's

Postby JimH » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:24 pm

sounds great D - looks good too

I have been fishing since sunday with two customers - things improving everyday with fish numbers rising too, will continue to do so right through the weekend so its a good time to perservere.

i will drop you a pm later regarding sorrento Q+A might get you some help/ideas

best
Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby deno » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:17 pm

Seeing how another member of the forum picked up a bass on sandeel at Killiney earlier today I figured I might as well give it another shot tomorrow. So this evening I set about trying to replicate a fairly decent sandeel. I googled imaged "sandeel" and chose the following pic to work off.

[img]http://www.imr.no/english/__data/page/2150/GYFECWYYZAGLNL.jpg[/img]

I think the fly below looks fairly similar but the proof will be in the pudding, bass pudding! Have to go to Mayo from Friday onwards for a week so will miss the weekends fishing, I will be fishing the clew bay area but the only bass you are likely to get comes in a pint glass.
Attachments
DSCF0099.JPG
DSCF0099.JPG (72.33 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
deno
SAI Bait Ball

Feathers

Postby Bombax » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:00 am

Hi Deno,

To put my two cents in...

There is some White Strung Saddle hackles in the Box. The ones about 4-5 inches long. i would suggest tying in 2 or 3 onto the shaft of the hook first then adding some of the White and Grey DNA stuff followed by the Peacock hurl. Much better movement in the water then bucktail alone. The Extra Select Craft Fur also has great action. There is also some very fine Crystal Flash which when tied in amongst the feather looks really well.

Red/white is the color for the Pollock in the West :wink:
Bombax
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby deno » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:44 pm

Hey Brian, thanks for the tips. You are very kind or very stupid to have left all your stuff over here. But I think You have a bit of a problem the amount of tying material you have in that box, its there really a need for it all?

What a morning! It was one of those days that I should have gone back to bed and pulled the covers over my head good and tight. It all started when feeding the dogs! dropped one of their breakfasts in the kitchen resulting in milk and bread everywhere with a smashed bowl thrown in for good measure. Once I clean up the mess and fed the other starving pooch, I went to drink my coffee. Yet again my hands failed me and I knocked my full cut of coffee onto the top of the cooker which emptied thought the top of the hob, into the grill area and made its way into the deepest recesses of the cooker. When I finally got out of the house, I missed the turn for the beech and have to go all the way around through Shankill (extra 20mins with the traffic). The beach looked perfect with a small swell running in, nothing to worry about I thought to myself. How wrong I was, I was walking past a decent sized rock when a wave no bigger than 2 feet hit it, sent water in the air and I got drenched. I removed my polarized glasses to wipe the sea water from them and the arm broke off!

I gathered my composure and began to fish waste deep in the surf. While moving down the beech I tripped on an underwater obstruction and stumbled, I used all my dexterity and acrobatic ability to stop myself from going in the drink. But I found that if you overstretch in a pair of waders the seams are likely to split and with that water started too leak in. With one wet leg, half a pair of sun glasses and the though of my folks asking "why the roast chicken tastes of coffee"? I continued on!

At full tide things began to stir! Fish started to break the surface at roughly 30-40 meters from the shore but I just didn't have the distance to reach them. As time when on, the splashing moved closer to shore and I could see the sandeel breaking the surface in a few places. It was not an eruption of fish by any means but it was a definite sign that larger fish were about. I tried numerous flies but nothing seemed to be tickling their fancy until the surface action all but disappeared. I changed fly once more to a very slim green and white clouser minnow giving the size of the sandeel in the area. After five minutes my interests began to wane but on the decided last cast, just as I was drawing the fly from the water a bar of silver lurched forward and sucked in the fly. I struck and the hook held, with that the bass realised something was a miss and decided it wanted to be somewhere else. It turned for England and powered off and I'd say it is still going because the knot from my fluorocarbon cast to braided loop on the tapered leader gave out. I was furious with myself as I was too lazy to do a loop to loop join. As I walked dejected back up the beach with a squelching sound in my right boot, the guy who had been sitting watching me fish said "Well arnt you glad to have met him"? and he was dead right. I fished for another half and hour but the wind got up and nothing was moving. I shall be back again in the morning!

Hopefully this time without incident.

Denis
deno
SAI Bait Ball

Postby jack01986 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm

They look Pretty slick, gonna tie up a few myself. A lot of bad luck there deno maybe next time. Hopefully I will be able to get out soon been sick the last few weeks.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Postby jack01986 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Heres a few of mine not sure if id catch anything on them but they look cool.

[img]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/jack01986/DSC00382.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/jack01986/DSC00381.jpg[/img]
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby deno » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:11 am

Looks good jack particularly the second one. The epoxy over the plastic rawl plug looks very good. Hope it does the business for you.
deno
SAI Bait Ball

RP's

Postby JimH » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:00 am

Guys - i bet these will be a big hit with Garfish - Jack can you build one completely of orange/yellow/chartreuse material and post up a pic? sorry to ask....one with and one without eyes?

they look great to me -
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby jack01986 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:38 am

I'll see if I have the materials shouldnt be a problem, my dads starting to wonder where all his rawl plugs are going :D :D .
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Senor Feeshy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:51 pm

Very Intersting lads. Must give this a try.
Jack, may I suggest you christen the fly in the second pic 'the bart simpson' ;)

the feesh
Senor Feeshy
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby jack01986 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:42 pm

Cool its now called the bart simpson fly.

Here is some of the with the colours you wanted jim only had artic fox to do them in but they look alright. Didnt have any more eyes to put on though.

[img]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/jack01986/DSC00384.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/jack01986/DSC00383.jpg[/img]

The second doesnt stick up as much as in the picture. I tested the original ones in the sink and the bart fly dives down head first and the other fly does the same and stays upright in the water it doesnt fall over sideways for some reason. Will use them next time I get out.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby jack01986 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Pollack showed a lot of interest in the last two rawl plug flys smaller ones swimming alongside them and and just nudging it. Caught a few on them today biggest was around a pound.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing