First Saltwater Flyfishing Experience

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

First Saltwater Flyfishing Experience

Postby tm » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:50 am

Tried Saltwater Flyfisihing for the first time this weekend. Had purchased new fly rod and reel and terminal tackle and headed down to the Garryvoe area for the weekend. Went out at 4.30am on Sunday Morning to Ballycrenane. I put in a 6/7 weight outfit also incase i saw any mullet about.
So i was pretty confident of at least getting a number of follows or even seeing some fish to throw the fly at. Fished pretty hard for 3 hrs to high water and it was a really glorious morning but unfortunately the fish didnt really materialise. I was pretty happy to hook into a Garfish on my last few casts, but unfortunately on his 2nd jump he threw the hook. Anyhow on not getting any other action in Ballycrenane and with the tide receding i decided on a chnage of venue. I went to a place i had never tried before. Pilmore where the River Womanagh flows into the sea. I thought i may take a bass here in the estuary. I tried fast retrieve, slow retrieve, dead drift etc etc. I really thrashed the water for 3 hrs. Saw lots of jumping seatrout, some in the 5/6 lbs bracket, but no bass, and no mullet. I had thought there would be shoals of mullet here in the warm sunshine.
Anyhow. Not the best return for about 6 hrs on the water, but a good learning experience all the same.
Im hooked at least. I was using some smallish deceiver patterns only size 2 hook and 2 inch long in various colours. Only ones i could get in Cork Angling Centre. (I have found a really good online shop for flies now called FliesOnline in Scotland. Very Cheap good flies (Freshwater and Saltwater patterns)and extremely good service.).
Hope to get out soon again.
TM.
tm
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby lumpy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:04 pm

well done tm, i havnt had a garfish in 2 years so your well up on me. if it helps it took me 4 trips to get my first bass on the fly so perseverence will pay off, its worth it when you get one...if your looking for flies try www.uksaltwaterflies.com, extremely good range of flies
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Flies

Postby Mick the fish » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:10 am

Lads,

I know how hard it can be to locate decent flies, so about 3 years ago I started to tie my own. It's a hobby in itself! I would strongly advise anyone to give it a go!

In the meantime, if you need flies just drop me a line and I'll tie you up some.

Mick
Mick the fish

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing