Hooks for Salt Water Fly Tying

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Hooks for Salt Water Fly Tying

Postby MAC » Tue May 29, 2007 1:52 pm

Hey guys,

As alway I'm looking for a good source of fly tying hooks for my salt water tying. Have promised myself that I will put a big effort in SWFF this year, so it's time to stock up on the flies.

I was having a snoop in Henrys and found some Mustad Ultra point 10829BLN hooks. I bought some size 2's & these look the business for clousers and maybe decievers, although the are a short shank hook.

Anyone got any others they prefere? Something that is easy to come bu and cheap :wink:

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby jack01986 » Tue May 29, 2007 3:22 pm

Personally I use whatever hooks they have in the shop :? Which is usually turrall hooks like these ones http://www.turrall.com/productPage.asp? ... 80&tid=758. Though I did get some hooks from here http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/fly_tying_hooks.htm and thought they were very good and not too expensive I got the Uksalt -V Cutting point hooks, which look very similiar to the mustad ones that you got. They have a short shank which doesnt really matter when tying flies.

[img]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/jack01986/DSC00225.jpg[/img]
Thats a (messy :oops: ) clouser on one of those hooks.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

SWFF hooks

Postby JimH » Tue May 29, 2007 5:31 pm

MAC

go here http://www.bearsden.com/page484.html#5409

these people have been SWFF for donkeys years - they really know what they are talking about.

i would recommend the Eagle Claw 254 (there is a VG reason) 100 pack at $11.95 - delivery is superb and so is the after sales service and support. plus they have a huge range

get a copy of ray bonderews Stripers and Streamers for a no nonsense approach to SWFF too (if you havent done so already)

if you want a better hook please mail me for details.

Thanks
Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby lumpy » Tue May 29, 2007 6:49 pm

my all time fave are tiemco 811 s stainless, nice shank, light guage but exceptionally strong.

also being using gamakatsu sc15 for bait fish patters, again very nice hook with a short shank for baitfish patterns and very good hooking ability.also the best hook ive used for not bluntening if hit off rocks.

for shrimp/prawn patters hard to beat partridge CS 54

hope this helps, feel free to pm for help etc.....

neil
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Marty Harrison » Tue May 29, 2007 9:32 pm

Ahh good man Jim, im not the only man in Ireland to have read that book then, was my bible when I started and deff caught me my first Bass on the fly. Everyone should read it.

Hook wise im mainly using Gamakatsu SC15`s, Tiemco 8 & 911`s, Diaichi 2546`s and good old mustad 34007`s (resharpened) along with a few other patterns (circles, semi circles etc) I like the look of, have to say im a bit of a fan of Korda carp hooks in longshanks too for tying shrimps.

Marty
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby Bass Fisher » Tue May 29, 2007 10:19 pm

The "Sea Prince", is a great hook, if you can get your hands on them.
Bass Fisher
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby JimH » Wed May 30, 2007 9:37 am

Hi Marty

hope all is well

I think we could go on about hooks here all day and i better not stray from the original post- but Ray Bonderew now thats a different matter. I'm delighted that you've read S's+S's Marty its definetly a must for all SWFFishers, my copy is well dogeared.
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby MAC » Wed May 30, 2007 11:57 am

Thanks for the Info guys.

Jim, I will check that link out for sure, and will also pick up a copy of that book to add to the collection.

I have to say, I really like the look of the Mustad Ultrapoint. It might be a wee bit too heavy for bigger flies though.

I have a few SC15's on the bench somewhere, so I'll give them a bash for sure.

I'm away on holidays for a week from tomorrow, so I'll be hitting the Bench BIG TIME when I get back to get ready for the end of the Bass Closed Season.

Cheers Guys,

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing