worm

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

worm

Postby JimH » Tue May 22, 2007 9:19 pm

Jack

the pattern is loosely based on the san juan worm which is famous on or near the Navajo Dam. The material used is ultra chenile and mono or copper the fly of course can be pre-waited and fish it dead drift or with an indicator.

the natural is attacjhed in the photo

thanks
jim
Attachments
worm.JPG
worm.JPG (93.05 KiB) Viewed 973 times
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby MAC » Tue May 22, 2007 10:11 pm

Do you have a pic of the Fly Jim?

The SJW is quite a small worm pattern that resembles a bloodworm, if I remember correctly.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby jack01986 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:14 pm

Cool cheers for that. They look very good.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Postby JimH » Wed May 23, 2007 9:30 am

Mac

have a look here - http://www.swflies.fotopic.net/ in the mullet section.

I think the ragworm version/pattern can be improved upon by maybe using some color markers along the body (as in the photo of the natural) and clipping out little (minute) sections of the chenile to represent the legs better.

i have also used a length (up to 6 inches) of Ice Chenile and a small Marc petitjean magic head with a brass bead - it creates a very realistic 'S' swimming shape on the drop or retreive.

PS - At the moment the galleries are more of a tool to help people rather than a sales promo, for 2007 anyway!
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby JimH » Wed May 23, 2007 10:09 am

By the way this small worm thing started as a quest to discover what other food sources do our saltwater predatory species feed on. I wanted first to find possible food sources and then build flies that loosely represented these and maybe catch some fish.

One day during the fine spell of weather during April i was watching a patch of water, as you do, when i saw a fish jump quite close to shore. Nothing new there and i chalked it down to mullet or trout. Then i saw another and another. When i say close to shore i mean 5 feet. I approached the area slowly and realised there was a lot of fish (trout) shoaling and feeding in shallow water. The activity was one of intent rather than frenzy. This went on for quite a while until the tide simply fell off the area in question.

The little area maybe 50 feet by 15 feet had a few unique features. A small run off of freshwater from a land source (i mean small as in two feet). This water ran under a field of small rounded boulders and into the sea. In between the boulders was trapped seaweed - a lot of it broken into small pieces -see SW2

When i turned over the rocks i revealed the little creatures as seen in SW1 and many worms like in the foto above. This is obviously a feeding area. I have subsequently built/adapted many flies to look like these guys and have fished them occasionally with success and other days with no result. Mostly trout and occassionally mullet. #4 rod and WF line with long and light leader with delicate Fluoro tippet, sometimes i use an indicator

Its still a work in progress with a hell of a lot of work to do i think
Attachments
SW2.JPG
SW2.JPG (118.03 KiB) Viewed 912 times
SW1.JPG
SW1.JPG (83.63 KiB) Viewed 912 times
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby fenitbob » Sat May 26, 2007 7:06 pm

interesting something similar reported in
[url ="http://www.mikeladle.com/osa.html"]operation sea[/url] angler with using the maggots of sea weed flies in the summer for mullet

lovely pics btw
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing