Mullet Bread Fly?

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Mullet Bread Fly?

Postby thirty » Tue May 22, 2007 7:37 am

well lads, anywhere on-line where i can buy a mullet bread fly?
thirty
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby JimH » Tue May 22, 2007 9:19 am

there are better flies than a breadflake pattern - but if want some i have them

http://www.swflies.fotopic.net/c1248410.html
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby Cooke » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:13 pm

Jim - what fly would you recommend for a brackish lagoon ?. Shallow clear water, no natural maggots from seaweed, soft bottom. The fish do respond to floatfished flake and have a go at artifical bread.
Cooke
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby lumpy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:53 pm

have had them on small size 8 gotcha's and small hog loose patterns, the look like small shrimp and sand hoppers.
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Cooke » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:53 pm

Thanks Lumpy - just found out from a a scientific source that the area I'm fishing is full of what they refer to as brine shrimp.
Cooke
SAI Hammerhead

Postby lumpy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:55 pm

apparently pheasent tail nymphs have a good track record of taking mullet feeding on shrimp and sand hoppers (cheers oz)..if it is a relatively shallow lagoon it would probably be possible to stalk feeding mullet.the behave similar to bonefish when feeding in taht you will often see their tails just breaking the surface as the nose in the silt feeding.pitch your fly just above them, leave it settle on the bottom and give a few short twitchs and this will often evoke a response

neil
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Cooke » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:54 pm

Neil - That's almost an exact description of the venue and the way the mullet behave, other than I have not actually observed them sifting the ground. I'll give it a go. Cheers.
Cooke
SAI Hammerhead

Mullet

Postby JimH » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:15 pm

Brian

i'll drop you a pm later on today or early tomorrow -

best
Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Mullet

Postby JimH » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:03 pm

Brian

having flyfished for both bonefish and mullet, it is in my opinion, a greater angling challenge to catch a mullet under the conditions you mention above, especially with any degree of consistency. Advising somebody with your angling ability feels a bit strange but i would certainly do the following before embarking on any singular path for flies, too many people go down that road......

fish with a light bs fluorcarbon tippet - something like frog hair deep blue or similar
fish with a long tapered leader and avoid lining the fish (stupid to say i know)
fish with a line that generates wider loops and aids presentation
fish with a line like a Rio midge tip too (just sub surface)
find any mud living 'thingies' that occur as naturals and try to match them
find any wind blown terrestrials that find themselves on the water and try to match them
look at ranges of flies in grayling type patterns or similar
fish with teams of flies if possible
find any natural seeds/berries/ that sometimes may float on the surface

some people oil their flies - mmmmh..dont really know

be prepared to go mad from time to time

as you well know they are stong fighters progresive action rod is better for the wider loops and helps in landing them with finer tippet.

good luck
Attachments
smileforbrian.JPG
smileforbrian.JPG (116.12 KiB) Viewed 988 times
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby barramundi » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:32 pm

lumpy wrote:apparently pheasent tail nymphs have a good track record of taking mullet feeding on shrimp and sand hoppers (cheers oz)..if it is a relatively shallow lagoon it would probably be possible to stalk feeding mullet.the behave similar to bonefish when feeding in taht you will often see their tails just breaking the surface as the nose in the silt feeding.pitch your fly just above them, leave it settle on the bottom and give a few short twitchs and this will often evoke a response

neil

Hi Neil Hows It going ?

Just noticed this thread.

Im not sure if the PTN is the answer to the senario you describe. Yes for sure Ive had them on PTN s on several occasions but the fish were feeding very hard hoovering the surface. The water was extreemly dirty, full of debris and food (Sand Hoppers) When you have 50 or 100 fish feeding with joyful abandon then its just a matter of constantly recasting a team of PTN s until one gets sucked in !! When they get obsessed with food you can stand in the water with them and they will swim between your legs. You could hit them with the rod tip , they would just spook then go back to hoovering. Thats when I fish for them when they are begging to landed. This would also incude Sea weed Maggott feeders.

Bread fishing works most of the time. These days If im doing the bread thing (1-2 times a year) I say to hell with it and bung a breadflake on a hook and cast it on a fly rod and fish it just under a controller lazy I know but Its a occasional distraction

I dont think anyone will trully figure out Mullet when they are doing all the strange things they do. ( 90 % of the time ) Scandinavian Sea weed flies. West country Spiders, Red Tags etc Im sure they all work every once in a while .

Have you found a consistent method Jim ? I notice you mention Flurocarbon, are you fishing sub surface ? I tend to battle to try to keep my flies trapped in the surface film ( When they are in Hoover mode )

Oz

One fish one fly Millions of Sand Hoppers

I cant get thepic to upload so here it is
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 413&size=l
barramundi
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Mullet

Postby JimH » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:48 am

Just spent the last 14 days fishing on the cork coast - planned over last weeks good tides and I am returning to Wexford today. I had my family with me so fishing was early morning late evening.

Inevitably my first target was bass and as we have a holiday house here i know some local spots that nearly always produce, avoided them to attempt to find more after 6 days of searching found two which are productive.

During this time i fished a location where i noticed a collection of mullet of quality that i had never seen before - ever! However i also found GHB's and chased these on the fly for four days - mmmmmh....patience.

Spent one day on the mullet on my hands and knees casting to them, lying down with a #4 and presenting to maybe 30 feet with a fly that i call the Burnt Ultra Chenile (BUC). The tan color attached to a size 14 and then lightly burnt at both ends (or one) produces a lovely maggot/worm imatation - in my mind anyway! Took some fish but had some problems with a structure. They kept running for that posed BIG problems with 4lb fluoro so lost them all.

However because of the quality of the fish i have to return - i think its some of the best fishing i have ever had even with none landed
Attachments
release.jpg
release.jpg (102.59 KiB) Viewed 808 times
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing