SAI trip to Iceland!

Looking to organise an infomal meet?
Got a spare seat available on a boat...

Moderators: corbyeire, jw, saltydog

Iceland trip

Postby FMCN » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:13 pm

I would also be interested. Do you have to be a member of the club, if so how do i join.
FMCN
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 50 times

Postby Mr_Green » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:20 am

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/joinSAC.html ...go to this and do what u gotta do :) ..means ur good to go to all the open comps as well as the saisac comps including the boat outings...well worth it man..
Mr_Green

Postby teacher » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:44 am

I'm fairly sure this trip isn't associated with the club in any way, except that some of the people going are members. Perhaps someone could clarify.

Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't also join the club!
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Iceland trip

Postby FMCN » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:30 am

I would definitely be interested in going. Just need to know if I have to be in the club. I have thought about joining to get out to some of the meets, but not really interested in competition angling and definitely not in boats, so not sure if I should if i wasn't supporting all of the activities.
FMCN
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Mr_Green » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:10 pm

u dont have 2 be a member im sure...its not club affiliated...i think :roll: ...but the meets are well worth joining up4 and evey1 has a great time at them...
Mr_Green

Postby alby » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:22 am

The trip would not be affiliated with the club, but rather an informal trip similar to some of the meets that take place around the country quite alot these days, helped greatly by the popularity of the site.

Some very valid points re The Whaling Issue, I can understand the arguments that can be made for & against such a trip, and since the issue has been raised I've looked into it, and in as much as I understand it seems to be "Scientific" whaling, with low quotas that Iceland is involved in, as opposed to commercial selling of meat which is illegal to import in almost every country in the world except the Faroe Islands.

All I can say from my point of view is, while I do think of myself and a conservation minded angler, I will not let this stop me going to Iceland next spring, for as Kraken has said "the trip of a lifetime". I don't want to have an argument or fall out with anyone or be accused of being a hypocrite but that's just how I feel on the issue.
alby
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 215 times

iceland trip

Postby FMCN » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:17 am

I'm with Alby on this one. Totally against whaling and I don't want to fall out over this but i will go to Iceland. I see no difference in this and buying loads of Japanese electrical equipment or cars or fishing gear or whatever. You are still supporting the Japanese economy and they have never stopped whaling under the guise of scientific research.
FMCN
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Bradan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:24 pm

alby wrote:
...in as much as I understand it seems to be "Scientific" whaling, with low quotas that Iceland is involved in, as opposed to commercial selling of meat which is illegal to import in almost every country in the world except the Faroe Islands.

Ah, the old "scientific research" argument... the same one Japan and Norway have been using for years. IMO there is NO ethical or valid reason to kill a whale for research, unless the population is being decimated by disease or a parasite and you need to find out what the cause is.
Scientific whaling has been merely a cover for commercial whaling - the meat from these mammals still ends up on the supermarket shelf in Japan or wherever.

Not making any judgements on people for going or not going, just hate seeing this "scientific whaling" thing trotted out, as if that somehow makes it legitimate...
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

scientific whaling

Postby FMCN » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:30 am

I think that was exactly my point in the next post, but no-one boycotts Japanese goods.
FMCN
SAI Hammerhead

iceland

Postby skippyiceland » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi there guys well just have to say iceland is a fantastic place to fish plenty of big fish here steve mason does very good shore fishing trips here were u can get some nice fish i am working with steve but i do boat fishing holidays here u can check me out at http://www.icelandfishingtours.co.uk it is a new site and prices will sart from 525 pounds upwards not including flights so when u guys have had enough of the shore fishing just jump in the boat and we can go and get some big halibut and cod tight lines
skippy :D
skippyiceland

the whales

Postby skippyiceland » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:00 pm

the icelandic quota for the killing of whales was 36 over a 5 year period i am in iceland at the moment and i can see why they have to kill them it is an island in the middle of the atlantic were every thing is so expensive it does not dig big holes in the ground for oil and it has very little pollution it is not an easy island to survive on that is why it has a population of only 3 hundred thousand but like some 1 said earlier iceland is not the only country in the world that kills whales norway and japan both do it no 1 wants to stay out of there way so why is iceland so diffrent :D
skippyiceland

Postby Marco » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:43 pm

Perhaps we should leave it at this. Everybody is entitled to an opinion and opinions have been given. Now let's just concentrate on the initial idea from Alby to organise a trip to Iceland for some fab fishing and do away with who's right and who's wrong. I rest my case.
SAI SAC
FISH - an animal that grows the fastest between the time it’s caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.
Marco
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 56 times

o.k back to iceland

Postby skippyiceland » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:09 am

well nice to get back to the topic hope every 1 has said there bit just want to see the fishing in iceland is fantastic from both shore and beach i am now living in iceland because of the fishing here if u want to no anymore please pm as i can not post commercial on here

tight lines
skippy :D
skippyiceland

Postby adam.urwin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:55 pm

another definately maybe here too
Fish 2009; Whiting, Dab, Pollock, Short Spined Sea Scorpion, Flounder, Ballan Wrasse, Bass, Blennie, Tompot Blennie, Coalfish.

"Don't take my boots off of me when you think I'm dead, I'll still be running from the demon in my head"
adam.urwin
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

iceland

Postby skippyiceland » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:11 pm

so are u all intrested in the shore or is there any 1 that likes skippered holidays
skippyiceland

any 1 out there

Postby skippyiceland » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:06 pm

so i take it u are all looking for shore fishing or is any 1 intrested in boat

tight lines
skippy :)
skippyiceland

pics from the weekend pre season reccy

Postby skippyiceland » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:15 pm

[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t303/skippyiceland/cod3.jpg[/img]
skippyiceland

cod number 2