tope fishing

Looking to organise an infomal meet?
Got a spare seat available on a boat...

Moderators: corbyeire, jw, saltydog

tope fishing

Postby jamesndrumcondra » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:38 pm

hello all. just leaving this post here in the hope that someone can help me out... im desperate to land my first tope from a boat. i was out recently on an evening charter targeting them and on that occasion we unfortunately blanked. im not in the best financial situation so booking charters regularly isnt an option for me as i dont have any other boat anglers to help fund the trips with me and im not part of any SAC's . im hoping someone here might consider bringing me out on their own boat to pop my tope cherry .. i have no problem paying towards the privilege if affordable , and i have my own setup and all the necessary terminal tackle but i simply dont have any sea angling friends on the east coast who have their own boat...ive been sea fishing out of valentia island since i was a at least 5 or 6. its my familys home away from home. thanks to the local anglers their ive gained a great knowledge and experience of sea angling both on and off shore, every time i get down im either baitfishing for huss and congers off culoo or the other rock marks , or out on the banks and reefs targeting ling pollack and whatever else, but as soon as i get home ( drumcondra , dublin ) the sea fishing dream is over and i spend most of my time pike fishing in the midlands and northern region ... anyway , if there is anyone who can help me out , please pm me or leave a post here. id be forever grateful.
all the best & tight lines
james norton
jamesndrumcondra
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: tope fishing

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:05 am

Hi James,

Unfortunately you may find it difficult to get out in a private boat with someone you have not met before or who doesn't know you personally. Boat angling has so many risk factors attached that it is far from the utopian image many have of it. In our ever growing litigious culture I would argue that it's fool hardy to bring strangers out in a private boat even with insurance. I personally would only ever consider bringing close friends or family. Even then if something happened God forbid it still doesn't indemnify me. That's part of the reason why charters are costly. I'm not trying to discourage you but rather explain why someone might not offer to bring you out.

Did you consider self hire? Maybe split it amongst friends?

What about putting in some serious minded shore sessions? There's loads of info on here.

Whatever you decide, best of luck and I hope you catch one soon.
Bob
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby jamesndrumcondra » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:25 pm

my friends have zero interest in fishing , they'd only head out if there was 6 cans involved... my only two real fishing partners are my father and a friend who lives in limerick. fathers gettin on a bit now and unable for it , and my buddy from limerick is swamped workwise .. i am targeting them from the shore but as everyone knows its half the battle from a boat. just thought id see , down on valentia ive asked boat owners whom id never met before if they were goin out and to consider bringin me along and ive had some of the best days fishing with them. strangers initially , but at the end of the day youd swear we'd known each other our whole lives. its a different way of life down there i suppose. i totally get what your saying though , im just very eager to have my first one and very frustrated knowing very little boat owners / sea anglers on this side of the country. currently saving for a day charter for myself out of wicklow and considering joining an SAC so ill be graaaaaand :)
jamesndrumcondra
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:03 pm

No need for a whole charter yourself. No wonder you find it expensive, lol.

Get onto the skipper and ask if there are any part filled charters or if he'll consider ringing you on short notice. He will have lots of regulars who may be able to help you out.
Bob
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby DarrenNiall » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 am

Hi James, I have some similar problems with not having a fishing buddy. I recently returned to fishing, with some success around Dublin, shore fishing. Wouldn't mind trying a few rock marks or beaches along the East Coast, but as you know it's better to have a buddy for safety reasons. PM me if you like and maybe we can get some fishing trips organised.
Regards,
Darren
DarrenNiall
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 99 times

Postby Fish magnet » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:24 am

James, contact me over facebook will you. I can get you a space on a private Tope boat, this Sunday or the Sunday after. Mark H.

For this message the author Fish magnet has received thanks:
jamesndrumcondra (Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:30 pm)
Fish magnet
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 16 times

Return to Meets, Buddys & Seats